Sign in to follow this  
reuscher

M1 Garand Bandoliers

Hello,

I picked up the bandoliers at the botton of picture at a recent gunshow for $1 each hoping that they are WWII so that I can display them with some period unifoms. Not knowing, I took a chance on them because of the color of the material and the fact they had a parkerized safety pin on them. On the other hand, for some reason I thought they didn't put the stamp on them during WWII. Also, there are unmarked cardboard holders on the inside. For comparison I Put a 1967 dated Lake City bandolier at the top that came from the CMP. Does anyone know, or care to guess, when the botton two were made? Can anyone tell by the maker and lot #? Which arsenal is EW? I don't want to use them in a WWII display if they're wrong. Thanks to all! :rolleyes:

post-772-1208825227.jpg

donation2009.gif

Not sure exactly when the inkstamped markings began.....maybe very late WW2 but more likely post war. Being made of light OD I'd be inclined to call them Korean War era vintage. What you need for WW2 is an light OD bandoleer with the information printed on a lot card inserted in one of the pockets.

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

From Midway USA:

Definition for "Eau Claire Ordnance Plant" : This government-owned, privately-run small arms ammunition factory was open from 1942 to 1943 just outside Eau Claire, Wisconsin. During this time, it was managed by US Rubber Co., manufacturing .50 and .30 caliber ammunition. Most cases brandished the 'EW' headstamp, except for the first few lots that utilized the 'EC' stamp. This was changed so as to prevent confusion with ammunition manufactured at the Evansville plant.

From Wikpeida:

In 1931, U.S. Rubber Company bought a substantial interest in the Gillette Safety Tire Company, founded by Raymond B. Gillette. The rubber tire manufacturing plant was located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. The purchase by U.S. Rubber was part of an effort to increase its share of the automobile tire market.[2]

After 1931, the Gillette plant, with its contracts with the General Motors Corporation, became one of the world's largest supplier of original equipment tires. It produced Gillete brand tires, along with Ward, Atlas, and U.S. Rubber's brand, U.S. Royal.[2]

In 1940, U.S. Rubber Company fully purchased and took over the Gillette company, and then expanded and modernized the Eau Claire factory. It increased production, and for the war effort produced truck and airplane tires.[2]

In 1942 when the United States government put a freeze on scarce rubber for civilian use, the company sold the Eau Claire plant to the government, which then converted it to make small caliber ammunition, and renamed it the Eau Claire Ordnance plant.[2]

On December 31, 1943, U.S. Rubber repurchased the plant from the government for over US$1 million, and converted it back to synthetic rubber tire production. The Eau Claire plant was greatly expanded after that, and ultimately closed in 1991.[2]

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Please click here to read the tributes to Gary:

Thanks for the awesome answers fellas!!! It never ceases to amaze me the things people know, and I never stop learning about this hobby as a result!

thumbsup.gif

donation2009.gif

Hi reusher,

As regards M1 bandoleers (like those in your pictures) the official changeover date from unmarked bandoleers (lot info printed on a separate paper cards) to printed bandoleers w/o cards was February 1, 1945. Therefore yours were used (if not produced) after that date.

However, older M1906 bandoleers (holding two 5-round stripper clips for M1903, '03A3, and M1917 rifles in each pocket - different type of cartons inside) were already marked with the lot number in WWI and later. These M1906 bandoleers were made of thicker cotton and have different dimensions than M1 bandoleers. You can see one of them in the photos linked by craig_pickrall (that with the lot number printed in its mid section).

Cheers

Kilroy

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.