Korean War KIA 7th Cav Bronze Star/Purple Heart group - Robert L. Wilson

tarbridge

Robert L. Wilson Denver, Colorado Born 1931 Corporal, U.S. Army

Service Number 17240475

Killed in Action

Died January 31, 1951 in Korea Corporal Wilson was a member of Company G, 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. He was seriously wounded by the enemy in South Korea on September 24, 1950 and returned to duty on November 2, 1950. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in South Korea on January 31, 1951. Corporal Wilson was awarded the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

RIP Corporal Wilson. You are not Forgotten...

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

He was a hard man fighting in hard times, most likely could have found a job in the rear with the gear but chose to go back into the fight. RIP CPL.

John

Hello Robert!

Thank you for sharing this man's story of sacrifice. Seeing a name so similar to yours must have a profound effect too, RIP Corporal and thank you.

Best wish always,

Joe

• 3 years later...
Captainofthe7th

I can't recall when Robert sold this nice set to me, but I have been trying to learn more about Robert Wilson since then. I finally found a photo today and thought I should post. The award of the Bronze Star is still a mystery - it's not cited anywhere, but I suspect it is for the action in which he was killed. I intend to go through all the 1st Cav GOs at some point covering 18 July 1950 - early 1951.

Robert was born in Louisiana and moved to Colorado, where he finished high school and joined the Army in 1949. He went to G Co, 7th Cav in Japan at the time and when they moved to Korea in mid July, he went with them. He was first wounded September 24, 1950 by shrapnel to his right side - from his knee to his butt and elbow. He was in the hospital for 39 days, during which he visited to the Atami Hotel in Japan before returning to G Company on the line on November 23.

At 1:00 in the afternoon on January 31, a persistent machine gun had some of G Company pinned down. Robert attempted to knock out the nest, but was struck down trying. I do not know if he was successful. He was buried in February and his body returned to the U.S. later that year. I am happy to see his face:

post-3190-0-93568500-1493770207_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Rob