GI Bring-backs from Italy

Custermen

Someone posted a bring-back pistol in a previous topic so I wanted to show this one.

I get emails from family who had someone serving in the Italian Campaign. They send me photos of what they have. So I don't have these items---but I will post one item that I do have at the bottom.

This pistol was brought back by a GI in Italy. It is a pre-WW2 Spanish pistol. This is NOT the actual photo of his pistol but it was a representative photo he sent me. I can't imagine where or how he obtained this.

post-3558-0-72675800-1380502194.jpg

Another family sent me photos of several items in his father's possession. I tried to talk him out of this badges. It is an Italian badge for the 3rd Cavalry Division that was sewn on the left sleeve of their uniform.

post-3558-0-82820200-1380502356.jpg

Here is an item that I bought on eBay. The container was marked as an item obtained from a German prisoner.

It is a rough sketch Road Map of Italy. It is crude and printed on cheap paper. It was folded several times. The way I picture it, this map was handed out to all the truck drivers. At sometime, this one was picked up by a German who turned it over when he was captured.

Drats. I can't upload it. I will finish this and try to edit the map images.

Well, you have me interested. Don't see many Italian Campaign-specific bring backs here (I think). So, figure out what the snafu is and post more. Thanks!

Mike

I would like some more background on that pistol. I think I googled it and it said these were made about 1935 or earlier.

I just thought of how a Spanish Pistol could be connected to Italy.

The Italians send troops to Spain to support their Civil War in the mid-1930's. So, maybe this is a souvenir that an Italian soldier brought back to Italy and then a GI brought it back to US. Now that would be a story if this pistol could talk.

A lot of these smaller pistols were private purchases by officers.Much like ones I have seen that are Belgian made Browning 25s carried by German officers.My dad worked with a local 90th Division vet.He was a Artillery man and did a lot of FO work.He had two Oretiges pistols he brought home.I also owned a Spanish Ruby once that was a bring back.Not uncommon to see a variety of non-german made pistols carried during the war.I own a CZ 27 brought back by a M.P. who served in Italy.ITs a late war finnish and wafen amt marked.A fairly common pistol to see used by the germans as they took over the factories and kept producing weapons after they occupied the country

I thought I would post a photo of my pistol. This civilian Walther PP was brought home by my Dad. This is still a nice shooting piece. The finish is worn but note the RED paint on the safety.

He also brought back a Luger, a M40 Police Helmet, a banner, a pair of binoculars and a Zeiss camera. The only item that I'm sure he carried with him for 12 months was the camera. I suspect the other items were picked up north of the Po River. He was with a task force that pursued the Germans all the way to Brenner Pass (yeah, I know the text books tell you the 85 ID didn't do that). The way the story went---they caught the German column and had a firefight. A white flag came out. The Germans wanted to surrender but the Americans demanded they disarm completely, including rifles and sidearms. The firing started back. The Germans couldn't take it and finally surrendered unconditionally. They were ordered to toss all their weapons into the ravine. I presume that is where Dad got the helmet and pistols.

post-3558-0-95673400-1381197285.jpg