Jewish War Veterans of the U.S. Badge

36-tex

I have a Jewish War Veterans Garrison cap with the embroidered version of this insignia on the cap. It is very similar to the VFW garrison cap..

When i find it, I will post some pictures of it.

Leigh

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Jewish War Veteran's grave marker for sale in my local antique mall. I resisted buying it because I am under the impression it is illegal to have grave markers? Anyone familiar with this? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see such items are still available to collectors. Would assume your piece is a collar device. The cap emblem has a post and screw back. Scroll down to bottom of page three in this catagory and you will find a bigger listing of Jewish War Veterans insignia.

There is a Jewish War Veteran's grave marker for sale in my local antique mall. I resisted buying it because I am under the impression it is illegal to have grave markers? Anyone familiar with this? Thanks.

It's only illegal to have grave markers if you're stealing them to sell for scrap......

Mark sends

Grave markers are a touchy subject with some collectors. These were originally designed to mark and honor the grave of veterans depending upon which war they served in. There are grave markers for CW vets as well as Span Am, WWI, veterans, etc.

The question is how do they honor the veteran if they are not on a grave to designate that particular person? Personally, I do not collect "grave goods" that include these markers or items dug from graves. Some dug items, i.e. bullets, weapons, etc., are clearly not grave goods but some are. Collectors tend to know these items when they see them such as the peculiar patina left on belt buckles, bone, etc. I think collecting grave markers is a decision that each collector has to make for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up yesterday!

Sir, that is an incredible piece. Wish I could find one like it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

edwin