2nd lt Phanor B Waters 352ND FG 487TH FS KIA 23RD Sept 1944

littlebuddy

I do hope i have placed this thread in the right section , this post ,is my own little memoriam to Phanor B Waters ,

Who died on the 23rd September in 1944 while flying support for the "OPERATION MARKET GARDEN " over Almelo ,Holland

Phanor B Waters

post-106122-0-87163700-1380399209.jpg

His grave marker in the American cemetry at Margarten, Limburg , Netherlands

post-106122-0-91812000-1380399304.jpg

im have been trying to upload his MACR to this post but with no luck ! so please bear with me on the details as im having to copy them

his aircraft was called "Gracie" and its serial number was 44-7094

the macr was filled in by lt col J C Meyers his commanding officer

" Lt Waters was a member of red flight led by Capt Johnson , consisting of Lts Clark and Ayers . When Lt Col Meyer ,squadron leader was in the vicinity of Hengelo, he was called by Capt Johnsonat about 17.30 hrs who asked his posistion and gave that of his flight as vicinity Almelo. Capt Johnson said he was taking a heading of 270 . A short while later LT Taylor heard what he thought was Capt Johnson telling his flight to "break"

Nothing else was heard or is known concerning the flights failure to return "

this is the item i have belonging to 2nd LT Waters

msg-106122-0-95888700-1366915536.jpg

i do hope this is of some interest to all the forum

many thanks for reading it

LB

doinworkinvans

This is why named items are so wonderful.. They unlock these true heros' stories that may never otherwise be known. Thanks Carl -

RIP Mr. Waters

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
isabelwsanders

Hello there - my name is Isabel Waters Sanders. Phanor "Peter" Waters was my uncle. A lady in the Netherlands who "adopted" his grave in the American Cemetery in Margraten emailed this link. It's great to see these photos - how did you find them? Please feel free to email me if you want to know more about my uncle. I never knew him of course, because he died at a very young age, but he was always honored and remembered lovingly in my family. Isabel Sanders, New Orleans, LA [email protected]

doinworkinvans

hello Isabel...

The grave marker picture came from here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=waters&GSfn=phanor&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=56305008&df=all&

The yearbook photo I beleive came from an online Google image search, and the photos of him and his P51 came from the 352 group website.

I'm sure Carl would love to hear from you and Im sure he will be in touch. He did a very nice job honoring your relative.

welcome to the forum!

Daniel

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
John Wauben

Hi!, I recently adopted Peter's (Phanor) Waters grave in Margraten, The Netherlands and have been in close contact with Peter's nephew who sent me lots of useful stuff and we finally figured out what happened to red flight.

The flight consisted of 4 mustangs, led by Capt Johnson en Lts Ayers, Clark and Waters. They got separated from their group near Almelo (The Netherlands) by intense ground fire and flew on heading 245, trying to rejoin. They were flying at 900 feet in poor visibility when they were attacked by a group of 10 FW190 who were patrolling the area, this was near the city of Appeldorn (5km ESE of Kalkar, Germany). All 4 mustangs and one german FW190 were lost, only Lt Clark managed to bail out in time and was taken prisoner by german ground troops. 

Capt Johnson plane was heavily damaged when it collided with the german FW190 (flown by pilot Maximilian Busch) and they both crashed and perished near Totenhügel (5km S of Kalkar). Lt Ayers crashed near Louisendorf (5km W of Kalkar) and Lt Waters and Clarks mustangs crashed near Heidkamp (4km SW of Kalkar) with Lt Clark being the sole survivor.

zoom in map.png

zoom out map.png