Colt 1918 Government Model .45 pic heavy, details

Garandy

Hi,

Nice looking pistol. The slide & frame markings ID it as a civilian/commercial gun, not U.S. government procured. The barrel marking is consistant with a WWII era pistol. According to the Government Models by Goddard it was shipped from Colt around Feb. of 1918. Veteran story could be accurate, but the gun would'nt be an issue piece. HTH

Tim

According to Clawson's book that barrel marking started in 1937 and was used through 1949 when the "COLT 45 AUTO" moved to the top of the barrel. Still a gorgeous gun. FWIW c99032 was shipped to a Phil B.Beakart 2d. Calif. F. Art S.F. on August 24th of 1917. A 2nd look at the serial number chart shows them in order by ship date not serial # so yours could have shipped between Aug. 1917 & spring of 1918. HTH

Tim

attachicon.gifphoto (45).JPGWhat are the correct markings on a circa 1918-1923 commercial Colt?

According to Clawson"s "Colt .45 Government Model" an "S" and/or "P" forward of the lugs on the bottom.

The barrel shown in the picture is a WWII High Standard used on M1911A1 other than Colt.

I'm a fan of 1911s and 1911A1s myself, and have heard many times that the commercial -C- serialed pistols were sometimes used by the military, especially the early ones.

Nice pistol, thanks for showing.

• 3 weeks later...
bob lamoreaux

Ditto on the possibility that a "C" marked M1911 could have been an issue pistol. Have to check on my old sources. One notable thing, a general question for future use by folks who own War I M1911s: Did the "C" serial numbered 1911s come with a "lanyard magazine" or was that style magazine purely military? Those "lanyard (loop) magazines" are nearly as expensive as some 1911A-1s, last I looked!

I'm sorry to disagree but there were NO Government Models (commercial or C serial numbers) issued to US military personnel. They were, of course, bought by the Canadians and Brits and many other governments to issue to their troops.

There were about 6,500 commercial pistols transferred to US military contracts. They were finished pistols but the Ordnance Dept made Colt peen out the C series serial numbers and renumber/remark and refinish them to comply with Ordnance specs.

Regards,

Kevin Williams

I have a 1911 that was given to me in the C93K range that has a lanyard loop magazine. The bullets in the magazine were dated 1926 when I received it. The guy I got it from was in his 70-80's at the time and said that is the way he got it from his father prior to WWII. He said he never fired it while he owned it. So I suppose the lanyard loop magazine could be original to the pistol. From what I have read that serial range is right in the transition period. Some authors say no but I believe Clawson states until the C98K range. I'm sure the real colt guru's will be able to provide a more definitive answer.

I believe the lanyard loop magazine was ended in 1916. The OP states his pistol is from 1918, so I am pretty sure a lanyard loop magazine was not original to this pistol. I also agree that this one is not a USGI pistol.

Chris

Hink441,

I agree with your assessment as I believe Clawson indicates that two tones' started around C85K and that lanyard loops ended around C95K so the OP's pistol would not have had one. In fact without going back to the threads I believe his was a single finish WWII type pictured. To add additional information to the post I was trying to partially answer Mr Lamoreaux's question regarding the magazines in post #42. If you can provide any additional clarity to the matter I am sure both of us would appreciate your comments/information.

Regards,

CC

I just read in Poyer's book, that Government models from C28,000 to C 139,999 were originally made with a Colt type 4 magazines. This magazine was dual toned in color, riveted floor plate, and did not have a lanyard loop. I hope this helps.

Chris