Any one reviewed this book?: The insignia, Uniforms & Equipment of the U.S. Army Balloon Corps: Second Edition

pfrost

I recall when the first book came out, it was panned by a number of the more knowledgeable collectors as being full of fakes. For that reason it never joined my library of wing references. I see that a "2nd" edition is now available. I was wondering if this was a better and more scholarly version?

http://www.amazon.com/Insignia-Uniforms-Equipment-Balloon-Corps/dp/0615188389

Just wondering. Based on what I have seen so far, I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for this version either. But, I rather not pay 60-70$ and confirm my suspicions.

I do suspect that sometime in the next 20 years, a collector/scholar (who some of us know well), may eventually get around to finishing his opus on American wing badges.

That book will likely be about 3 volumes long and cost thousands of dollars (if all the wonderful things I hear about it are true), but it ought to cover just about every single wing ever made from 1913 until 1946! If you are reading... get back to work David!

Patrick

I know that the "wing guys" will not likely share the same enthusiastic opinion, but I think that a general collector's reference on the U.S. Army Balloon Corps would be an excellent addition to anyone's library. Focusing on just the wings that were worn would take away from the other incredible pieces of Balloon Corps history that is out there. As for the reference book in question, I have no idea. I, like you, would be very interested in what people have to say about the 2nd edition.

Can't say anything about the second. I was disappointed by the first. And way too overpriced for the size due to small printing size (I assume). I would like to know about the 2nd edition as well. Is it any different or just some minor changes.

:unsure:

Patrick,

Having purchased the 1st edition myself I am at liberty to recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading a complete work of fiction. With regard to the 2nd edition I have only this to say:

"Fool me once, shame on you . Fool me twice, shame on me!"

Cliff

:unsure:

Patrick,

Having purchased the 1st edition myself I am at liberty to recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading a complete work of fiction. With regard to the 2nd edition I have only this to say:

"Fool me once, shame on you . Fool me twice, shame on me!"

Cliff

Since this was first posted I have pondered on how to respond without offending anyone. Cliff couldn't have put it better so now I am off the hook. Thanks Cliff.

Terry