Korean War 334th FIS patch--construction question

DaveP

Picked up this one a week ago today at an estate sale. 6 inches tall. Korean War F-86 squadron.

My question is about the construction. It appears to be Japanese made but with bullion letters. Wondering if it was sent to the squadron as a blank and the name/squadron letters added in Korea or was it made this way in Japan? Your opinions are welcome. 4 photos will follow. Thanks.

In case your wondering about the pilot, his first name was James and I'm researching him now. I have his date of birth, serial #, etc. It appears he was at Suwon in '51. No MIG kills, but he flew as Jim Jabara's wingman for a while.

Thanks, Dave

post-341-0-40504400-1380334453.jpg

Could it be that the patch may have been made without lettering (flawed) and the person who got it/found it had the unit title and etc added .........................

If not that I'd say they had it "special" made somewhere with the bullion as you state .

Johnny

Since it is embroidered with the man's name on the bottom scroll, then I would have to say it was blank, here the unit or someone in the unit embroidered personalized the rest on both the top and bottom scrolls. What do my esteemed AF colleagues think, blank scrolls personlized at unit level?

Dave-

The names were usually added in Japan. Bullion is unusual though. Normally the shop would make a bunch of patches with the name area blank, and would add them later as needed. This explains the ones with off color lettering in the name area. What's odd here is the blue tabs. Normally the 334 FIS used black ones during the KW period and didn't switch to blue until they were transferred to the US in the late 50s. I have several KW squadron patches that were worn with the name area blank. Some time in the mid 50s, a directive was issued that no names were to be used on patches, and that's why you see many with that area cut off but still used. Nice pick up.

Randy

Dave-

The names were usually added in Japan. Bullion is unusual though. Normally the shop would make a bunch of patches with the name area blank, and would add them later as needed. This explains the ones with off color lettering in the name area. What's odd here is the blue tabs. Normally the 334 FIS used black ones during the KW period and didn't switch to blue until they were transferred to the US in the late 50s. I have several KW squadron patches that were worn with the name area blank. Some time in the mid 50s, a directive was issued that no names were to be used on patches, and that's why you see many with that area cut off but still used. Nice pick up.

Randy

Randy,

thanks for the info. The tabs actually are black, they are the same shade of black as the eagle's beak. I guess they look a little blue due to the lighting or flash. I guess I need to take photos outside in natural light from now on.

Cheers,

Dave