WWI 77th Division M1917 Helmet. (Initials C.L.S. Inside, any chance of a roster search?)

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello all,

Been looking for a good example of one of these 77th's for a while and just picked this one up. The helmet is complete with liner and chinstrap, the heat stamp is ZD over 24. I also found the initials C.L.S. marked on the outside of the liner. Would there be any chance of searching these initials for a 77th Soldier, or would it be near impossible given the number of soldiers and available rosters? Would love to ID this helmet.

Thanks
Troy

post-33000-0-95237300-1380310926.jpg

ZD24 is a nice early one.

Without one full name or another, I don't think it's possible to get an ID. There are at least 21 possibilities in the 305th Infantry alone.

USMC-RECON0321

ZD24 is a nice early one.

Without one full name or another, I don't think it's possible to get an ID. There are at least 21 possibilities in the 305th Infantry alone.

Thanks and I figured as much. I turned the black lining inside out hoping to find more info, but none. Also, I couldn't find any date or manufacture stamp inside the lining as usual, but it is very worn and faded??

Troy

Troy,

Did the helmet come from your area, from a Gun Show or eBay? I ask because if you identify the town there might be an outside possibility to figure out if who the veterans were from that town and narrow it down. Local Library's have a lot of information about soldier's who served in the war. Many towns and county's put out books from the men and women who served in the war which provides a short bio and picture of the service man from that area.

John

USMC-RECON0321

Troy,

Did the helmet come from your area, from a Gun Show or eBay? I ask because if you identify the town there might be an outside possibility to figure out if who the veterans were from that town and narrow it down. Local Library's have a lot of information about soldier's who served in the war. Many towns and county's put out books from the men and women who served in the war which provides a short bio and picture of the service man from that area.

John

John

It came from a seller in Fort Dodge Indiana that I've met just from collecting contacts. But this unit being made up of mostly NY Men, I'm thinking its had a few moves over the years. Not out of the question for a Veteran of this Division to have moved into that area after returning home?

Troy

John

It came from a seller in Fort Dodge Indiana that I've met just from collecting contacts. But this unit being made up of mostly NY Men, I'm thinking its had a few moves over the years. Not out of the question for a Veteran of this Division to have moved into that area after returning home?

Troy

Although the 77th was initially made up of draftees from the NY area, replacements could have come from anywhere, especially after the division went to France. So, it's entirely possible for a man from Ft. Dodge to wind up in the 77th.

Either way, that's a nice helmet. I have a State of Liberty marked British Brodie, but the insignia on mine is a lot more worn and not as bright as yours.

USMC-RECON0321

Although the 77th was initially made up of draftees from the NY area, replacements could have come from anywhere, especially after the division went to France. So, it's entirely possible for a man from Ft. Dodge to wind up in the 77th.

Either way, that's a nice helmet. I have a State of Liberty marked British Brodie, but the insignia on mine is a lot more worn and not as bright as yours.

Thanks and yes good point made!

The markings are very nice on this example, the photos I took in the direct sun make them look much brighter then they actually are. Most likely this one was painted on the return home or after returning for a victory parade or event most likely and then put away.

Any idea if the 77th had their helmets painted in theater or not?

Troy

Here is a pic inside.

post-33000-0-09668900-1380330212.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Nice helmet, Troy, but where are you going to put it? LOL!

I had one spot left in the case and it will fit in perfect I think.

Now off to find another case I guess. I think it's a collector thing; If you have room available, you have to fill it or risk loosing sleep until the job is done! Once everything is full then it's time to rotate items out with better items coming in!!

Troy

Here is that empty spot that just had to get filled!!

post-33000-0-93584800-1380337038.jpg