US Army Medical Officer Medical LOM Group

John F.

Most medal collectors prefer to find medals that were awarded to a service member who participated in a engagement/campaigns during a particular battle or war in some capacity or another (pilot, crewmember, Infantryman, submariner, etc). However for every warfighter there are about 10 other service personnel that that support him (supply, medical, cook, pay, etc) making the performance of his mission easier. Often these service members are unsung heroes and their service although important to the overall mission are not highly desired by collectors. I live near San Antonio which is the home to the US Army Medical Center and School, Fort Sam Houston. All US Army Medical Personnel (enlisted or officer) will begin their military careers at FT Sam Houston for their AIT or OBC. Many will return for follow-on advance courses or will be stationed here at sometime. Many enjoy their time at FT Sam Houston because it one of the few Army Post that is located near a major metropolitan city and a lot of Army medical personnel choose to retire, live and eventually die here. Here is one of those medal groups.

The group is named to a female Lt Col Jeanne P. Sanford, US Army, Medical Corp Officer. She served during the Korean War through Vietnam but was never deployed to theater during those conflicts as evident by her ribbon bar. The group consist of her Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and National Defense Service Medal with Oakleaf cluster (back when they used an oak leaf instead of a campaign star) her 3 place ribbon bar, DIs, rank, Medical Corp Specialty insignia retirement ceremony photos. LTC Sanford during the Korean War through Vietnam before retiring on Sept 20, 1974. Sadly she died less than a year from retiring on Aug 24, 1975. I went by the FT Sam Houston Medical Museum to see if the research section has any additional information on her, but they did not. I found her buried at the FT Sam National Cemetery.

post-8650-0-48607600-1380201919.jpg

Hello John,

That's a very nice group, personnaly I really like these service groups (but you already know that...)

Hi Fx,

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of your affection towards service groups. San ANtonio is full of these group to Medical personnel but Army as well as Air Force. They are not as "sexy" as a Vietnam era Pilot or a WWII tanker but nice in the own sense.

Best,

John