US M-1 vs. Euro Clone Helmet Components Guide!

All this talk of Euro Clones, lead me to thing of Latin American Clones, not so much the actual manufacture of steel shells or liners (did some countries of South America indeed make clone M1s?) but rather more parts, liner parts in particular, don't thing we seen this so far cropping up if they did have them.

Si senor...Argentina!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Belgian type that had the suspension riveted to the outer shell was the German made Paratrooper helmet worn by the Belgian Parachute regiment in the 70s and 80s...

It could well have been a Paratroop helmet, would have been shallower looking to the one Ian posted, like I said, the seller said it was a Belgium helmet.

Interior of Argie M1 clone...Falklands bring-back.

77312d1312773015t-m1-falklands-inner-arg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Exterior. Note riveted chinstraps.

9052731_orig.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

• 2 months later...

Chinstrap webbing: US-made chinstrap webbing is OG with a white cotton core. It has a different weave from Euro webbing, which does not have a white cotton core and is a different shade of green

Hi Sabrejet, this is not always true. Many anchor-marked chinstraps from the Vietnam era have green core webbing and in some cases a mix of both types.

T

Feel free to add some illustrated examples of what you describe for future reference.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

• 7 months later...

I have a euro clone with some unknown maker mold mark in the crown of the liner, has the letters MIX

anybody have any info what country made this liner? it looks just like a US Vietnam War era liner but I think it's a foreign copy.

post-1885-0-39235300-1410368098.jpg

• 1 year later...

Voila monsieur! Look familiar? Obviously, its shape follows the contours of the French shell, but its interior is pure M1.

In my opinion the liner is pure french. The first and the second images are from the shell, the last one from the liner of the same manufacturer: HR

post-9918-0-08198000-1443791301.jpg

post-9918-0-43656500-1443791319.jpg

post-9918-0-68710300-1443791334.jpg

In my opinion the liner is pure french. The first and the second images are from the shell, the last one from the liner of the same manufacturer: HR

Yes...I know that Alberto....I meant that at a glance its interior is just like that of an M1 liner....from which it is copied.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

• 2 months later...

Can somebody help me out

I have a m1 whit a woodland cover

Cover date dla 100-81

Liner maker mark snaps stocko

Stamp SH 88

Helmet Shell i only see lot 01/89 U's

I would like to know Anny info you have a bout it

Thank you for your time

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I read "76 A"

Sorry, I missed your post till now. At first I thought it could be Dutch, but that heat number looks like it could be a US pot (possibly used by another country though)?

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Sorry, I missed your post till now. At first I thought it could be Dutch, but that heat number looks like it could be a US pot (possibly used by another country though)?

The 76 A indicates a front seam, fixed bail helmet but this helmet is a swivel, rear seam with a non stainless steel rim. Riveted chin straps aren´t US (or?).

• 8 months later...

The 76 A indicates a front seam, fixed bail helmet but this helmet is a swivel, rear seam with a non stainless steel rim. Riveted chin straps aren´t US (or?).

It's possible one or two numbers did not appear when manufactured. This has happened often. Near the "u" where someone marked appears to be a faint number one.

donation2016.gif

• 2 years later...

Just had this one ID'd, Swivel bail at the rear and heat stamped as an Isreali model.

post-9131-0-18702600-1556554529_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Heat stamp, 1973 Israeli helmet. The character in the circle stands for Zahal, or the Israeli army.

post-9131-0-02820900-1556554620_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.