US M-1 vs. Euro Clone Helmet Components Guide!

Sabrejet

(Courtesy of "War Relics") Just came across another very good example. The things to note are the removable components...sweatband, nape-strap, and leather chinstrap...all of which surface now and again on eBay and at collectors' fairs as "original" USGI parts. Note also the webbing chinstrap which has a US style "J" hook and T1 style buckle, often painted OD. There was a dealer at this year's "War & Peace" show who had a bunch of these French chinstraps in NOS condition....but was selling them as "original GI replacement M1 chinstraps".

post-8022-0-50988800-1380624432.jpg

Here's a classic example of what motivated me to compile this thread. There's a "WW2 US Army Helmet" about to be sold on eBayUK...the auction ends later today. It's already bid up to just over $100. As soon as I saw it I recognized it as a Belgian clone....ABL logo in the crown and "A. Raymond" components etc (see pics) So, I politely messaged the seller and pointed this out. He's chosen to ignore it completely and so someone is about to get burned! I suppose you could argue that the potential buyer knows exactly what he's buying...maybe so...but equally it could just be an inexperienced collector. What more can one do?! :o

post-8022-0-32073800-1380783795.jpg

post-8022-0-01969900-1380783803.jpg

Thanks for adding this Dave. It certainly looks like a WW2 liner, for sure! However, the snap on loops on the sweatband are characteristic of Dutch M1 clones. Also, is the nape strap sewn on? Difficult to tell from the photo. Any markings on any of the snaps etc?

Thanks for adding this Dave. It certainly looks like a WW2 liner, for sure! However, the snap on loops on the sweatband are characteristic of Dutch M1 clones. Also, is the nape strap sewn on? Difficult to tell from the photo. Any markings on any of the snaps etc?

Sewn on the one side, one snap on the other, one missing, on the snap, it says: STOKO-STOKO, it looks like a WW2 liner, that's Greaaaaaaaat :D:D

By way of an update...and as a cautionary tale...the Belgian "US" M1 which I referred to previously, just sold for the equivalent of around $200 on eBayUK! The seller proceeded with the sale despite my polite message and will now pocket the proceeds, whilst an unsuspecting buyer just paid $200 for a $30 helmet in the mistaken belief that it's a WW2 M1. As has been said so often in the past...."Buyer beware!"

Sewn on the one side, one snap on the other, one missing, on the snap, it says: STOKO-STOKO, it looks like a WW2 liner, that's Greaaaaaaaat :D:D

Yeah...I'm pretty sure it's a Dutch clone. The first generation Dutch/Belgian copies were very close to the US originals. Later, the differences became more marked as the design was up-graded.

Some of you might already be familiar with this website? It's an excellent collection of world helmets which includes all of the various M1 clones discussed in this thread. Not every single production variant is included, but there's enough info to help you ID the principal foreign types. For example.....

http://brendonshelmets.weebly.com/

post-8022-0-67254400-1380875798.jpg

Johan Willaert

I've been in the Military since 1982 and up until roughly 1995-1996 was issued a Belgian M1 clone helmet with separate liner and net. These were replaced by German Schubert made kevlar helmets from 1995 onwards and we had to turn in the old steel pots...

Although I had been issued both rough and smooth finished shells, high pressure style and plastic liners and all kinds of components I wanted to keep one as-close-to-mint-condition example as I could find in the pile... Being a Company Quartermaster Sgt at the time, I had ample time to go through many helmets until I found the one shown below...

Shell is dated 1969, while the liner must be one of the oldest around, its 1953 manufacture date barely visible...

BTW in the late 90s, I sold a couple of my other helmets at the Beltring War&Peace show... So if any of you come across a helmet marked with my name, service number and bloodtype, you know where it came from... ;)

post-92-0-27209500-1381335459.jpg

An excellent example...thanks for adding the pics Johan. You can't get much closer to a US original than that!

Hi

Anyone have any ideas on this one!

This helmet is absolutely Dutch. It's the Model of 1953 and the shell is made by Verblifa ( Verenigde Blik FAbrieken. In Englisch: united tin factories ) I don't know who the liner's manufacturer was...

This helmet is absolutely Dutch. It's the Model of 1953 and the shell is made by Verblifa ( Verenigde Blik FAbrieken. In Englisch: united tin factories ) I don't know who the liner's manufacturer was...

Thank you peter, for the information, how you can tell all this from a photo, I will never know, the helmet and liner came from a re-enactor, helmet with dents in, and the liner not in the best of condition, more I think, kicked about, than battle wear. there must be information out there on the makers "N".

Here's another doozy! I believe it's an Iraqi M80 as designed/made/exported from S.Korea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Post-WW2-Composite-US-M1-Helmet-/331043860873?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4d13c07189

$T2eC16dHJGIFFonMC7myBSWqt)10Z!~~60_12.J

There was a shop in Ypres selling a helmet, very similar to this one, with the studs holding the webbing, coming through the helmet, when I seen first, it was at the back of his window display, and I thought it was a liner, when I went in and asked him, he told me it was a Belgium helmet.

I'm afraid he was mistaken Dave. Here's another M80. These were commonly painted with a sand colour in Iraqi service, which wears off revealing the solid green beneath. Note the three rivets.

$T2eC16N,!yEE9s5jE,bVBRj4HU(w)Q~~60_35.J

Johan Willaert

Only Belgian type that had the suspension riveted to the outer shell was the German made Paratrooper helmet worn by the Belgian Parachute regiment in the 70s and 80s...

All this talk of Euro Clones, lead me to thing of Latin American Clones, not so much the actual manufacture of steel shells or liners (did some countries of South America indeed make clone M1s?) but rather more parts, liner parts in particular, don't thing we seen this so far cropping up if they did have them.