US M-1 vs. Euro Clone Helmet Components Guide!

Sabrejet

All this talk of Euro Clones, lead me to thing of Latin American Clones, not so much the actual manufacture of steel shells or liners (did some countries of South America indeed make clone M1s?) but rather more parts, liner parts in particular, don't thing we seen this so far cropping up if they did have them.

Si senor...Argentina!

Only Belgian type that had the suspension riveted to the outer shell was the German made Paratrooper helmet worn by the Belgian Parachute regiment in the 70s and 80s...

It could well have been a Paratroop helmet, would have been shallower looking to the one Ian posted, like I said, the seller said it was a Belgium helmet.

Ah yes the Argentine ones, a British Vet bring home, or was it found in a Barn near Stanley :lol:

Do you own this helmet Ian? if so lets see a detailed view of the interior of the liner.

• 2 months later...

Chinstrap webbing: US-made chinstrap webbing is OG with a white cotton core. It has a different weave from Euro webbing, which does not have a white cotton core and is a different shade of green

Hi Sabrejet, this is not always true. Many anchor-marked chinstraps from the Vietnam era have green core webbing and in some cases a mix of both types.

T

Here are two sets (one set green-cored, one set white-cored, both anchor stamped and removed from helmets) currently on Ebay as an example and lastly one of mine from home

_57_zps2a5c6210.jpg

_571_zps3b8440c0.jpg

008768x1024_zps5507cd9d.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have a euro clone with some unknown maker mold mark in the crown of the liner, has the letters MIX

anybody have any info what country made this liner? it looks just like a US Vietnam War era liner but I think it's a foreign copy.

post-1885-0-39235300-1410368098.jpg

• 1 year later...

Voila monsieur! Look familiar? Obviously, its shape follows the contours of the French shell, but its interior is pure M1.

In my opinion the liner is pure french. The first and the second images are from the shell, the last one from the liner of the same manufacturer: HR

post-9918-0-08198000-1443791301.jpg

post-9918-0-43656500-1443791319.jpg

post-9918-0-68710300-1443791334.jpg

In my opinion the liner is pure french. The first and the second images are from the shell, the last one from the liner of the same manufacturer: HR

Yes...I know that Alberto....I meant that at a glance its interior is just like that of an M1 liner....from which it is copied.

Yes...I know that Alberto....I meant that at a glance its interior is just like that of an M1 liner....from which it is copied.

Ah, ok! ☺

• 2 months later...

Can somebody help me out

I have a m1 whit a woodland cover

Cover date dla 100-81

Liner maker mark snaps stocko

Stamp SH 88

Helmet Shell i only see lot 01/89 U's

I would like to know Anny info you have a bout it

Thank you for your time

• 2 months later...
Le Garenne 78

I believe to have a M1 clone, but not sure from which country.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Charles

post-115947-0-95528100-1457366053.jpg

post-115947-0-45240800-1457366061.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen these liners used in anything other than German helmets?

Yes, in the swedish m/37 helmet. Only for a short time, as a test helmet.

post-9415-0-85645400-1459798639.jpg

I read "76 A"

Sorry, I missed your post till now. At first I thought it could be Dutch, but that heat number looks like it could be a US pot (possibly used by another country though)?

Sorry, I missed your post till now. At first I thought it could be Dutch, but that heat number looks like it could be a US pot (possibly used by another country though)?

The 76 A indicates a front seam, fixed bail helmet but this helmet is a swivel, rear seam with a non stainless steel rim. Riveted chin straps aren´t US (or?).

• 8 months later...

The 76 A indicates a front seam, fixed bail helmet but this helmet is a swivel, rear seam with a non stainless steel rim. Riveted chin straps aren´t US (or?).

It's possible one or two numbers did not appear when manufactured. This has happened often. Near the "u" where someone marked appears to be a faint number one.

• 2 years later...