WW 1 Veterinary patch

WorldWarPatches

I am always learning and never want to be called an "expert."

Can you express why this is "original?"

I have some made the same way that I have always considered to be reproductions.

I'm no expert but have generally stayed away from patches mounted on OD wool backing as there was a company reproducing this style in the 70s and 80s. This is a similar patch, but different construction.

post-944-0-68478200-1380144666.jpg

post-944-0-61432600-1380144681.jpg

WorldWarPatches

I wish to retract my statement to 36-Tex "Your opinion is allowed and welcome even it it's incorrect." and revise to: Your opinion is allowed and welcome.

I wasn't around back then (WW 1 ) and I did not remove this patch from a uniform. But I do know most WW 1 patches were made by mom's, grand moms, girlfriends or the grunts themselves and made with what ever material was around and that's why every patch other than liberty loans are unique. The workmanship if from down-rite ugly to fan f'n tastic. I have photos of the area 1 Asmic VP's collection that are mostly NY & NJ ragman items. Ragman items for those that don't know the term are patches removed from uniforms that were sold to foreign military's. There are not two the same outta over 800 patches. Seems only the Officer's could afford a tailor made patch.

This patch could be made just after the war or ever as late as the 30's. The material is time period and style is correct from 1900 through 1930's. Any patch not on a dated uniform could be argued both for and against. I know the original collector has not added to this collection in over 40 years. He is parting with all the loose patches and soon will be parting with some uniforms.

I am a dealer that due to lack of sales has a very large collection of over 20,000 patches. About only 5% of what I have is for sale now on ebay or the web site I just started. I'm not the expert I wish I was and I have more than a few thousands in bad buys as most dealers do. I wish to offend none and stand behind our troops and my sales.

Discussion is the entire purpose of the Forum.

There could be explanations for the wool backing material. The first that comes to mind would be that it had been sewn to a patch blanket and then carefully cut from it. That would be the best way to maintain its shape.

On the flip side, from the WWI uniforms with sewn patches that I've observed, wool backings were not typical.

I once had a stack of reproduction WWI patches sewn on wool backing material, and those might be the very same that trenchbuff is referring to. However, the tell on them was that the wool contained strands of synthetic material that were quite obvious. I'm not seeing those in your photo.

A lot of these times things boil down to provenance. For example, was there anything else at the estate sale related to WWI?

Keep in mind we are all looking at a photograph. This may boil down to a case of having to have in hand to make a call one way or another.

vintageproductions

The other thing you need to remember is 40 years ago you are talking the mid-70's when some of the repros were made. Just like some of the machine stitched USMC & Aviation patches that appeared a few years ago on Ebay. They were stitched in a odd circular pattern. These were made in the 60's so they have over 50 years of age on them. Some think they are real, but they are not.

Whenever I see the style of the original shown ones, I back away instantly from them.

Mark (Trenchbuff) knows his WWI patches and I am sure Dan Griffin will comment when he sees this post.

I wish to retract my statement to 36-Tex "Your opinion is allowed and welcome even it it's incorrect." and revise to: Your opinion is allowed and welcome.

No problem on your original post to me. I am generally very careful stating my opinion on patches, because as Gil says; not having them in hand can slant opinions.

When I see layered patches of felt (wool), the reproductions generally are thin pieces layered on top of each other. It is simply the fact that the thin pieces are what is cheap and available from stores today.

I am not questioning your knowledge, but was seeking information on how you determine original pieces. I did notice you have other pieces on your ebay page that are made in the same fashion. As you said, WWI pieces rarely are identical.

Patchcollector

I have some wool backed WW1 patches in my collection that I know to be authentic from the period.My recent 79th bullion post is one of them.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/188522-a-ww1-era-79th-infantry-division-bullion-patch/
All wool backed patches are not the same.Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Also,I agree with Worldwarpatches about the amazing variety in workmanship,materials,and even size found in pieces from this era.

I have seen the later made wool backed examples,I have some and they look and feel different than the period wool backed ones.

Photos cannot show factors such as material thickness very well,it is always better to see the item in person and barring that,posting clear,well lighted close up photos is helpful.

WorldWarPatches

I did contact the collectors wife, he is no longer with us. She recalls that he had more than one blanket that are no where to be found. It's possible he cut the blankets up leaving the thick wool on the backs. I'm going to remove the wool backing from a few when I can find some time and post images.

I did contact the collectors wife, he is no longer with us. She recalls that he had more than one blanket that are no where to be found. It's possible he cut the blankets up leaving the thick wool on the backs. I'm going to remove the wool backing from a few when I can find some time and post images.

That will be awesome if you will show some without the backing. Also, have you ran a blacklight over them? Not 100% test, but could help.

Hopefully it wasn't Joe Walters from the House of Swords. He sold so many fake WW1 patches with OD backings that it makes me nervous whenever I see one, even though I know lots of original WW1 patches and many cut from blankets have OD backings. Some of his fakes were darn good too and didn't "glow" under black light.