RARE! Leather Suspenders Circa 1905

cavsaddle

I just finished posting on Dispays & Preservation a Cavalry 2nd Lt.'s uniform Circa 1905-10. With the uniform is displayed a set of suspenders identified in the 1905 Regs as a shoulder belt. I have never seen another set in any collection that I am aware of. I'm posting more detailed photos of this piece here as it seems more apropriate as "field equipment". I will show 1 photo with the full uniform to show it as a unit. The rest of the photos will show more detail. Enjoy. George.

post-2782-1208739063.jpg

There are 3 metal clamps to attach the suspenders to the garrison belt, 2 in the front an 1 in the rear. post-2782-1208739259.jpg

Closeup of clamp. These really dig into the leather of the belt and in time probably would destroy it. Probably why they never saw widespread use.

post-2782-1208739609.jpg

Now that is one piece of US field gear that I had not seen before. thumbsup.gif

Very interesting how the design is reminiscent of the ALICE suspenders introduced about 70 years later. think.gif

Thanks for the kind responses. I was interupted and didn't finish all the photos. This shows the Rock Island Arsenal stamp on the back of the single back strap. Reads RIA 1903 H.E.K.post-2782-1208747633.jpg

They are reminiscent of the "Y-Suspenders", as used by Imperial and Nazi Germany. Certainly not an innovative design, but as has been said already - very nice, and very rare!

Patriot

This last photo shows the reference to the straps in the M1905 revised 1908 manual of enlisted and officers post-2782-1208747942.jpgmounted equipment.

General Apathy

Hi Cavsaddle, excellent, now that made me sit up and read, beautiful piece in great condition, Cheers ( Lewis ) thumbsup.gif

• 4 years later...

Point at which the three straps join.

post-2782-1208739499.jpg

You mean the TWO straps, surely?

There is the thinner "rear centre piece", and the wide main strap that is split to form the "shoulder strap" sections

It'd be interesting to see the makers drawings for these to get the cutting pattern that was used, as the shoulder straps seem to have a fair amount of lateral movement in the design - which could lead to problems if not maintained in use...

I'd also be interested in more images of the belt clips. Very strange approach to the problem - a belt loop & D-ring did the job for most other armies