Another An-J-3A for the museum

Steindaddie

Here's a donation that wandered in the museum on Sunday. What really caught my eye was the patch - I've never seen one for VBF-20. This jacket belonged to a squadron plankowner and later, it;s C.O. so I figure this must be the first patch they wore.

post-1949-0-78773800-1380068121.jpg

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never seen this unit emblem before either, thanks for sharing it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had an emblem that was designed by Disney , although I think they never used it or "approved " it , the design was of a cartoon bird ,his wings had an upward crank to them, he's wearing a navy Dixie cup hat,beak open with tounge hanging out side of beak,the wings have the star-n-bar emblem on both top,he's holding two torpedos in his talons under body and his tail is shaped like that of an aircraft and striped horizontally,there's a lightning bolt coming down behind him from upper right to lower left and all on a round background .I only have a black and white image of this one and would KILL for the colors to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding , but I would like to find a color example if possibly !!!!

Your patch posted is most likely the only one they ever used and again probably their first and only design "worn/used" , glad to see it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

BTW , they were on CVE-67