Normandy medical unit Road-sign

falls1944

Hello,

Have found that US medic unit road-sign in Normandy . That one comes from near ST LO. If someone has some information about the code name OXFORD, let me know, please ?

Thanks, David

post-54000-0-82030400-1380006529.jpg

Johan Willaert

Usually the subunits of a division in the ETO received codenames all beginning with the same letter... ( example within the 101AB: KLONDIKE; KILO, etc...)

OXFORD probably refers to a Medical Bn of a Division active near St Lo in 1944...

You might find an answer if you could establish which divisions operated in the region and find out whithin what division the subunits (in this case a Med Bn) had codenames starting with an O...

I'll have to tell you that it still amazes me the amount of information the forum members have, especially when it comes to such obscure items like the unit code letters.

Glenm and Johan, how did you ever know that?! Is it in reference books, unit histories, unit documents?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, even road-signs like this are" reproduced" these days (note I didn't say faked!) At a recent show I attended a dealer had a stack of them...British, US and German style, all very authentically made. Re-enactment groups like to use them as props for photo shoots. So, sadly, like with much else in our hobby, proceed with caution if money is changing hands! Here's an example of what I mean. BTW....I'm not suggesting that the one under discussion here falls into that category...just awareness raising! ;)

post-8022-0-00855400-1380037639.jpg

signs like this have been reproduced since the 70's when reenacting started. Original ones turn up in Europe from time to time, generally as boards used to patch holes by farmers. The stenciling looks very thin to me, but then treatment station is an odd term to use so maybe it is good. USe an XRF unit to see if there are any heavy metals in the paint. If not, its a fake.

Hi, All

Thank you very much for your reply and the identification. This sign comes from "Saint Denis le Vêtu", and it's the sector of the 3rd AD. Very interested for me.

Just to don't help the faker : no photo of the other side and no size B)

Thanks, David

signs like this have been reproduced since the 70's when reenacting started. Original ones turn up in Europe from time to time, generally as boards used to patch holes by farmers. The stenciling looks very thin to me, but then treatment station is an odd term to use so maybe it is good. USe an XRF unit to see if there are any heavy metals in the paint. If not, its a fake.

Hi, John

Thank you for your analyse. I found myself this sign in a Fleetmarket for 5 euros . No need to use X ray. The sign is in my collection and has a good home for long years :rolleyes: .

Thanks, David