WWII Jump Case (Griswold); Real or Repro?

thorin6

I picked this up at a flea market a couple of months ago for $35. I wasn’t sure if it was an original or reproduction. After some research it appeared to be an original, but I haven’t been able to confirm and I’ve read some posts that makes me think that Crawford Mfg Co marked field gear may be reproduction. I did find one post that referred to this case (or Holster, Parachutists Rifle) but the pictures were removed. So, is it an original case/holster or a reproduction, and if a reproduction, who made it?

Front, back, and inside:

JumpCaseA_zpsc4117d26.jpg

JumpCaseB_zps40237ac5.jpg

JumpCaseInside_zpsbd1fd91f.jpg

Markings inside the case on the flap, marked in two places CRAWFORD MFG CO over DALLAS TEXAS if I’m reading it right

JumpCaseInsideMarkb_zps400e666e.jpg

Talon zipper:

JumpCaseZipper_zps64663d90.jpg

Only snap marking I could discern:

JumpCaseSnap_zps68f5c472.jpg

Close up of the buckle marking:

JumpCaseHookMarking_zps8b2e328c.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Check their website or send them an e-mail, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that Crawford is a name that At The Front uses on some of their repro gear. Even if repro, $35 is a good price.

You can find At The Front at www.atthefront.com

Check their website or send them an e-mail, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that Crawford is a name that At The Front uses on some of their repro gear. Even if repro, $35 is a good price.

You can find At The Front at www.atthefront.com

ATF uses "Crawford Tent and Awning" on their field gear; that's where I got the idea that Crawford Mfg Co might also be a reproduction mark. However, in all the repro cases that I looked at on the web, none had this specific marking. Also, in the one post that I found in the forum, the consensus was that the Crawford Mfg Co marked case was original, however, the pictures were no longer available.

Looks right to me.The material looks right.The new repro gear never seems to have the weight or the feel of the real stuff.

Mine seem to have only contract numbers .I have khaki ones,an OD color one in the box and modified ones as well.

The 3 line markings don't seem right to me but I have not studied these bags to much. The contract seems odd never seen that prefix before. Most originals that I recall have the Part number only not the Stock number or combination stock/contract/MFG..... IMO the markings are at least bogus

The following information was forwarded to me by US CANTEEN GURU (give credit where credit is due) - who asked that it be posted in response to thorin6's original post:

"Crawford Mfg. Co. Inc. had plants in Kansas City, Mo., Richmond, Va., and Dallas, Tex. The Richmond plant was by far the most active and Crawford manufactured a large number of sewn products. The Dallas, Texas facility produced parachutes through most of 1943, and "Gun Holster Assemblies" on Contract WD11107 AC 603 negotiated April 1944, completed September 1944, and Crawford was paid $65,000 on the contract."

So, thorin6...it is not a reproduction.

The following information was forwarded to me by US CANTEEN GURU (give credit where credit is due) - who asked that it be posted in response to thorin6's original post:

"Crawford Mfg. Co. Inc. had plants in Kansas City, Mo., Richmond, Va., and Dallas, Tex. The Richmond plant was by far the most active and Crawford manufactured a large number of sewn products. The Dallas, Texas facility produced parachutes through most of 1943, and "Gun Holster Assemblies" on Contract WD11107 AC 603 negotiated April 1944, completed September 1944, and Crawford was paid $65,000 on the contract."

So, thorin6...it is not a reproduction.

Many, many thanks, sgtmonroe, to you and US CANTEEN GURU (please relay on my thanks).