Old polaroid damage...

ryksem

Got some polaroids of my grandpa taken during Vietnam, there has been some natural damage done because of storage and display over the years. Is there any way to fix and "restore" these pictures back to almost new quality? I can post some example of the damage if needed, just let me know.

Rather than attempting to restore the Polaroids, it might be more productive to have high quality scans made of them and then run the scans through Photoshop for clean up and color correction.

Rather than attempting to restore the Polaroids, it might be more productive to have high quality scans made of them and then run the scans through Photoshop for clean up and color correction.

Ok, where can I get the pictures scanned?

if you dont have a scanner you can always take a photograph of the photograph using a digital camera....thats what i do, one day my scanner was acting up so i tried it and it actually works better than scanning (or maybe my scanner just stinks!)......so what you do is just lay the polaroid or photo or photo in a book etc. flat on a flat surface...dont use the flash on the camera, make sure there is good lighting, either indirect sunlight or even just the rooms light bulb/lamp or whatever, soft good lighting...the photo will come out nicely and then just download as you would any photo into a photo editor of your choice, most computers have something or you can download one free from the internet, i use ACDSee .....then you can try to edit the photos and hopefully make them look better, if you dont have a photo editor you could just email the photos to me and i could try them out on mine and see if i can fix them up a little for you then email them back to you....mike

A lot of scrapbooking stores have scanners where you can either download the image to a compact disc or thumb drive. Some camera shops as well. You might also check with Target or similar stores that have a self service machine.

"

if you dont have a scanner you can always take a photograph of the photograph using a digital camera....thats what i do, one day my scanner was acting up so i tried it and it actually works better than scanning (or maybe my scanner just stinks!)......so what you do is just lay the polaroid or photo or photo in a book etc. flat on a flat surface...dont use the flash on the camera, make sure there is good lighting, either indirect sunlight or even just the rooms light bulb/lamp or whatever, soft good lighting...the photo will come out nicely and then just download as you would any photo into a photo editor of your choice, most computers have something or you can download one free from the internet, i use ACDSee .....then you can try to edit the photos and hopefully make them look better, if you dont have a photo editor you could just email the photos to me and i could try them out on mine and see if i can fix them up a little for you then email them back to you....mike"

I have a high dollar scanner and on old photos, I have had better luck with using my camera and then editing the image. The scanner just does not allow the subtle variation available from an original image taken off of the camera. Of course a professional might laugh at this position.

Roger