AAC-10 Who made it?

bob lamoreaux

I am nearly complete with my book manuscript on American Armament Corporation but, in the interest of being as thorough as possible, I would like to have any info regarding the ten-wheeled armored car allegedly made by that company in about 1935 and "demonstrated" to the U.S. Army, probably at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

the best description I can give is that it looks like a Soviet BA-10 (I think that is the correct designation for the Soviet built vehicle). I will try to attach a photo from the AAC catalog here, but am not sure how proficient I am with doing that.

The designation "AAC-10" and year built comes from Ickes "Tanks and Armored Vehicles". The fact that it was "tested" by the Army comes from the AAC catalog. As you probably know, the Army "tested" a number of vehicles, small arms, etc. for manufacturers and inventors in the Inter-War period with no particular intent of adopting the product.

The vehicle had two rear axles, each mounting four dual tires (two on each side). Apparently, like the BA-10, a track could be affixed to each side on the "road wheels". The chassis might be a Ford, as that is was the BA-10 was based on. However, the AAC-10 appears to be longer than the Soviet vehicle, having a roof sloping rearward behind the turret mounting a 37-mm automatic cannon built by AAC. This might just be the artist's conception of the finished vehicle.

I am inclined to think that Marmon-Herrington might have built the vehicle, though it is possible that it was built by AAC.

Thanks!

Bob

WHOOPS! File was too large. Will try to extract the page and load that once I figger out how to stuff like that!

Cobrahistorian

Bob,

Will your book have anything on the M2 No.1 37mm AA gun? Finding any info on that weapon has been extremely difficult. I've got one of four left in existence.

v/r

Jon

My idiot computer (or the idiot doing the typing!) lost the reply I was making on the AA and AT guns made by AAC. Please message me for my reply. The AT and AA guns are off the subject in this (vehicle) forum, anyway.

Cobrahistorian (Jon):

Tried to contact you but got a message that you aren't taking new messages. Please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
bob lamoreaux

COBRAHISTORIAN

Got an instruction manual for the AAC "Dual 37-mm 44-cal. Automatic Tank Gun M 3". I suspect that the AA gun was very similar, lacking the magazine and selective fire feature. Also have a DVD of a promotional film done by AAC showing the AA gun being demonstrated to (presumably) Dutch officials at the AAC range near Lakehurst, NJ as well as some interesting footage of that facility.

Don't know if either of these would help you with your AAC AA gun.