2 War Medal Bar with several Foreign Decorations

MilitaryWired

Here is a nice 2 war mini medal set I just picked up. I have done some preliminary research to match this up with a recipient but have not yet had any luck. The search will continue when I get the chance. Meanwhile... enjoy!

IMG_9949b.jpg

IMG_9952.JPG

I am seeing the DSM, LM British OBE, French Legion of Honor (& Cr de G), plus a Belgian Order of Leopold (Not sure what the right-most is), so I would suggest you have the minis of a high-ranking officer -- PROBABLY a general officer who served in the ETO and very possibly in a higher HQ. Nice set.

G

The mounting appears to me to be British, hinged pin, open catch, pendants of the US medals are typical British and not the best strikes of the US medals. The firm which mounted the group might be confirmed by looking under the ribbons to see if there is a maker's mark on the bar. Regarding the rank of the recipient, he could be either a GO or senior field grade. There is only the OBE and the French LM (at least from what can be seen from the front) is only the lowest grade which would indicate a colonel or so, but this could be just an error by the company which put the group together. Having said that, it's a really terrific miniature set to an officer who saw a lot of service in Europe (silver star on the EAME). This is a classic formula for some deductive work by Tom Nier to puzzle out.

The bar is of British origin, but the seams were made in an amateur way. Certainly this set was of an higer American officer (Colonel or GO). The dark line is new or gives for notice that is old?

Do they keep good records of recipients of the Order of The British Empire? That might be the place to start. Then cross check with DSM's and LOM's. Interesting that there is no American Defense Medal. Perhaps not a typical career officer who served from WW1 to WW2. Perhaps left the service after WW1 and recalled for WW2 service due to having some special skill?

OBE's are not handed out like M&Ms, so yes, it will be officially recorded somewhere. The archives of the London Gazette maybe?

For a hi-speed group of medals, the y appear to be rather crudely mounted...and showing signs of wear too. How often would these things be worn!?

Unfortunately, there were a goodly number of OBEs awarded during WW2, so tracking the recipient down via the combination of DSM/LOM/OBE will be difficult (very difficult). The most unusual medal on here is the Danish one...if there are lists of recipients for that award, it may be easier to start there.

Also, KurtA's thought about the lack of American Defense medal...that's a good point, and a good way to slim down the number of possible recipients for sure...

I would start with the Dannebrog. Not too many of those awarded to Yanks.

I agree with Dave, probably awarded to a highpower Colonel or perhaps a one star.

W

I found a list of 319 recipients of the Order of the Dannebrog. I will try & cross reference those names with the other medals in the set...

http://www.danishmuseum.org/fhgc/documents/Danish-American_medals1.pdf

A quick look at the list and there appears to be only a handful of possible recipients...

I'm seeing:

Graling, Francis J.

Knudsen, Signius Wilhelm Poul “William S. Knudsen”

And that's it...pretty small cohort to select from (assuming the list is complete...)