WWII USAAF Headgear

Blue Leader

b-26_m10.jpg

Photo showing the Capt. Paul Shannon crew in front of the B-26 "Mild And Bitter" of the 322nd BG 452nd BS.

Note the M-3 Flak helmets on the left and the Grow helmets on the right. The crew wears in majority A-9 flying helmets.

Here a Grow helmet on a A-11 flying helmet with AN-6530 goggles.

img_3345.jpg

img_3346.jpg

img_3347.jpg

A+ Mathieu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Blue Leader

New headgear.

Pilot of P-40 of 1943 in the MTO and CBI : A-9 flying helmet with ear cushion sewn and H-18. Note that no snaps for modern oxygen mask have been added on this A-9. The goggles are B-7, the oxygen mask is a Type A-9 with four hooks.

img_0120.jpg

img_0121.jpg

img_0123.jpg

Here my version, a typical headgear of the mid year 44 : A-11 flying helmet, AN-6530 goggles, A-14 oxygen mask and M-3 flak helmet.

The M-3 is standardised in early 44 and therefore can not have been worn in May 43 as is the case in the film Memphis Belle. Note that in Memphis Belle none of crew member wear flying goggles (optional), the pilot has no parachute (also optional) and the others harnesses did not match with any known model parachute. The co-pilot wears a pretty lousy B-8, not even a B-7. Lifejackets are late pattern B-4 with back strap and no B-3, flying helmets A-11 instead of B-6. Even headphones are not correct. A-8B oxygen masks are after war. And last detail, they are the 324th BS patch sewn right on their A-2 and much too high. t

These errors are astounding because in return we see rare equipments such F-1 blue bunnies, correct A-6 boots ...

I met Bob Morgan when I worked at the Museum of Flight in Seattle and I asked him about filming "Memphis Belle". He said they flew him over to England for two weeks as a technical advisor and that they didn't listen to a f**king thing he told them. I don't know if he advised them on any of the flight equipment, but I cracked up when he told me that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mathieu -

Great pieces. What brand are the mannequin heads that you use in the photos? Are they available for sale anywhere?

Blue Leader

Hello Mathieu -

Great pieces. What brand are the mannequin heads that you use in the photos? Are they available for sale anywhere?

I bought the mannequins heads in a shop in France. No brand.

Thank you everyone for your appreciative words !

A+ Mathieu

• 1 month later...
Blue Leader

Hi,

Here some Summer Flying Helmets. Five AN-H-15 all different :

- 3 made by Bates Shoe Co. (one without leather tab and two with a black leather tabs with 3 snaps and 4 snaps)

- 1 made by Sun Shoe Co. (middle up)

- 1 made by Bradley Goodrich Inc. (left up)

And one A-10A made by Lite Mfg. Co (left down)

post-120900-0-03324700-1401544708.jpg

A+ Mathieu

Very Nice set of manufacturers. They all look to be in excellent condition.

I have completed my B17 Gunner's headgear display to Honor my Uncle Joe and I'm using a AN-H-15 made by Bates.

I will be posting it here on this site shortly.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
Blue Leader

New B-6 with a particular rigger modification to attach the receivers. This flying helmet was from a member of the 333rd BS, 94th BG of the 8th Air Force.

img_0410.jpg

A+ Mathieu

• 3 years later...

Cool rigger mod. I have never seen another like it.

what an outstanding thread. I am just getting into AAC stuff and this was very informative. I have the book shown and a cuple others but just WOW