WWII USAAF Headgear

Blue Leader

Great helmets !

Here a british headgear configuration used by some 56th FG pilots like Capt. Walker M. Mahurin: Type C 43 pattern flying helmet, Goggles MkVIII and Type G mask equiped with an US microphone and a hose modified for US fighters.

100_8130.jpg

100_8131.jpg

capt_w10.jpg

Capt. Walker M. Mahurin wears a first pattern Type C flying helmet with B-7 goggles and a Type G oxygen mask.

Just noticed the heated lenses. Never seen these before!!! Got any more info on these?!

For information an add from General Electric on the electrically heated lenses.

Mathieu

electr10.jpg

Great helmets !

Here a british headgear configuration used by some 56th FG pilots like Capt. Walker M. Mahurin: Type C 43 pattern flying helmet, Goggles MkVIII and Type G mask equiped with an US microphone and a hose modified for US fighters.

100_8130.jpg

100_8131.jpg

capt_w10.jpg

Capt. Walker M. Mahurin wears a first pattern Type C flying helmet with B-7 goggles and a Type G oxygen mask.

how can you distinguish the goggles between B7 and AN6530's ??? hadnt both pairs been used with 2 piece eye cushion ???

thanks LB

how can you distinguish the goggles between B7 and AN6530's ??? hadnt both pairs been used with 2 piece eye cushion ???

thanks LB

Yes, both pairs use double cushions and it is difficult to distinguish the model whether the B-7 goggles are a late model whose bridge shape is identical to the bridge of the AN-6530 goggles.

Mathieu

Matthieu what do the 2 bridge types look like ?? here are my 2 pairs of B7 for comparison

the top pair are Chas Fischer made

the bottom pair American optical made

LB

post-106122-0-83564100-1380749722.jpg

post-106122-0-93134000-1380749673.jpg

Your two pairs of B-7 are early models with a bridge shape rounded at the corners.

The model showed below is a transitional model between the original B-7 and the first AN-6530. Sometimes this model is stamped AN-6530 at the back of the bridge.

Difficult to tell which model it is without reading!

:)

Mathieu

4114480931_18f872715c_z.jpg

Here a headgear of a B-17 pilot in early 1943 : flying helmet B-6, goggles B-7, oxygen mask A-8B dated April 1943 and headset HS-23 :

Mathieu

b-6_a-10.jpg

b-6_a-11.jpg

b_6_a-11.jpg

img_3014.jpg

Hi,

Here a typical headgear worn by a PRU pilot of the 14th PRS flying, 7th PRG, on Spitfire XI at the end of 1944.
It is composed of an early A-11 flying helmet with an A-13 pressurised oxygen mask dated 1944 and AN-6530 goggles. The A-13 has a connection for the H-2 emergency cylinder.

Mathieu

a-11_a11.jpg

a-11_a13.jpg

Late war Flak helmet Type M-5 standardized in January 1945 to replace the M-3 and M-4A2 unless for the dorsal turret gunner on A-20 and B-29 (Ring Sight), where the M-4A2 is used. The M-5 helmet weighs 1.25 kg and will be produced 93,495 copies between February and August 1945.

100_8725.jpg

100_8726.jpg

100_8728.jpg

100_8727.jpg

doinworkinvans

That flak helmet set up is some kinda sweet! I gotta get me one of those!! Thanks for showing all of these Mathieu. By the way, where can I get your book?

That flak helmet set up is some kinda sweet! I gotta get me one of those!! Thanks for showing all of these Mathieu. By the way, where can I get your book?

Mine is on pre-order from AmazonUK. Probably available from AmazonUS too?

• 3 weeks later...

Here a typical headgear of a P-51D fighter pilot of 15th and 21th FG based at Iwo Jima. These pilots flown Very Long Range missions over the Pacific Ocean for bombing the outskirts of Tokyo 1000km at the North.

The equipment consists of a AN-H-15 flying helmet late pattern from Sun Shoe, B-8 goggles from Palaroid and an A-14 oxygen mask dated August 44 equipped with a microphone ANB-MC​​-1 and a H-2 connector for the H-2 emergency oxygen bottle.

100_8721.jpg

100_8722.jpg

100_8723.jpg

100_8810.jpg

Mathieu

Seriously fantastic array of headgear. I have no idea where you are finding these squeaky clean examples?!

Do ya have any white leather B5 or B6 helmet examples....??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have no white B-5 helmet. I don't think that white B-6 helmet exists.

Here a B-5 flying helmet (late model), equiped with ear cups and R-14 receivers (HS-18) and hooks for the A-9 oxygen mask.

img_3220.jpg

B-6 Helmet with ANB-H-1 receivers (HS-38)

img_3221.jpg

B-6 flying helmet with ear cups and ANB-H-1 receivers (HS-38) and hooks for the A-10 Converted and Revised oxygen masks.

img_3222.jpg

B-6 flying helmet with ear cups and ANB-H-1 receivers (HS-38) and hook for the A-10A and the first model of the A-14 oxygen masks.

This model had received a spray paint dark brown on the outer part after ear cups for the recevers have been sewn, like some A-2 flying jackets.
This copy has apparently never been distributed as it is in new condition. It has its decal on its front portion affixed during repackaging.

img_3223.jpg

A+ Mathieu

I'm not used to seeing a B5 with hooks. Do you think they were a post production/rigger addition? I know Little Buddy also has a B5/6 converted helmet with hooks.

As for the white leather B6s, I'm not sure they exist either. I have only seen several white leather examples of the flight helmets, several with added ear cups. I would love to own an example some day.

Thanks for sharing your flight helmets.

I'm not used to seeing a B5 with hooks. Do you think they were a post production/rigger addition? I know Little Buddy also has a B5/6 converted helmet with hooks.

Hooks have been added by riggers on the B-5. Only 4 hooks have been sewn for fix an A-9 oxygen mask. The B-6 have 5 hooks.