Quick question; preserving/displaying matchbook covers?

kreyn90

Hope everyone is doing well. I am a bit new to collecting so I just had a quick question about preserving/displaying some WWII era matchbook covers. I was thinking baseball card sleeves but they are a tad small for the matchbooks. If anyone has any useful ideas that they can share with me that would be great. Thanks!!

Do they still have matches in them? If so I would think that could be a concern with how they react with the matchbook cover itself.

They do not have the matches in them. Just the covers.

You can get photo sleeves for 4 x 6 photos. You can find them at most camera shops or scrapbooking stores. These might be a bit big for what you are doing.

While we are on the topic, does it reduce the value of a matchbook cover if the matches are removed? I picked up one for resale and then realized sending through the mail might be a bad idea with the matches still in it. The last thing I need is have the Postal Inspector at my door.

You can get photo sleeves for 4 x 6 photos. You can find them at most camera shops or scrapbooking stores. These might be a bit big for what you are doing.

While we are on the topic, does it reduce the value of a matchbook cover if the matches are removed? I picked up one for resale and then realized sending through the mail might be a bad idea with the matches still in it. The last thing I need is have the Postal Inspector at my door.

Thanks. That's a good idea, idk why I didn't think of that. As for having the matches in it still, from what I have been reading is that they are worth a bit more fully in tact.

Found this in the Postal Manual:

10.14.3 Matches

Matches are classified as flammable solids. Strike-anywhere matches are prohibited in international and domestic mail. Safety matches (book, card, or strike-on-box) are prohibited in international mail, and in domestic mail via air transportation, but are permitted in domestic mail via surface transportation if:

a. They do not ignite spontaneously under conditions normally incident to transportation or when subjected for 8 consecutive hours to a temperature of 200°F (93°C).

b. They cannot be readily ignited by friction unless struck on their own or a similar box, card, or book.

c. They are tightly packed in a securely sealed primary receptacle to prevent any shifting or movement that could cause accidental ignition by rubbing against adjoining items. The primary receptacle(s) is placed securely within an outer shipping container made of fiberboard, wood, or other equivalent material. Multiple primary receptacles may be placed in a single outer shipping container. The address side of the mailpiece must be marked “Surface Only” or “Surface Mail Only” and “Book Matches,” “Strike-on-Card Matches,” or “Card Matches,” as appropriate. A shipping paper is not required.

d. The gross weight of each mailpiece is not more than 25 pounds.

We have a member who has an extensive collection of WW2 patriotic match-book covers...is it Vostoktrading maybe? Anyway, he's posted them on here in the past and so might be well placed to advize you.

They make larger baseball cards sleeves, I actually use them for my ssi patch and postcard collection. They are made by ultra pro and are the top loader series. They also make storage boxes for them.

There are about 4 or 5 different sizes and I highly recommend them.

Leonardo

They make larger baseball cards sleeves, I actually use them for my ssi patch and postcard collection. They are made by ultra pro and are the top loader series. They also make storage boxes for them.

There are about 4 or 5 different sizes and I highly recommend them.

Leonardo

Thanks Leonardo, I think that sounds like the best option. Appreciate it.

Found this in the Postal Manual:

10.14.3 Matches

Matches are classified as flammable solids. Strike-anywhere matches are prohibited in international and domestic mail. Safety matches (book, card, or strike-on-box) are prohibited in international mail, and in domestic mail via air transportation, but are permitted in domestic mail via surface transportation if:

a. They do not ignite spontaneously under conditions normally incident to transportation or when subjected for 8 consecutive hours to a temperature of 200°F (93°C).

b. They cannot be readily ignited by friction unless struck on their own or a similar box, card, or book.

c. They are tightly packed in a securely sealed primary receptacle to prevent any shifting or movement that could cause accidental ignition by rubbing against adjoining items. The primary receptacle(s) is placed securely within an outer shipping container made of fiberboard, wood, or other equivalent material. Multiple primary receptacles may be placed in a single outer shipping container. The address side of the mailpiece must be marked “Surface Only” or “Surface Mail Only” and “Book Matches,” “Strike-on-Card Matches,” or “Card Matches,” as appropriate. A shipping paper is not required.

d. The gross weight of each mailpiece is not more than 25 pounds.

Thanks. For a $4 item, I think I will just carry it with me and swap it at a show.