USMC Cross flap canteen covers...

kabar44

Which of the USMC cross flap canteen covers is rarer ? The one with the drain hole or the one without ? Thinning the heard some.

I would hang on to the covers with the drain hole, there are plenty of threads covering this. It is my understanding that the drain hole was deleted later on in production.

Cheers

Sean

If I'm not mistaken, ( and I often am ), the " drain hole " is actually a later addition. It is actually designed to be a funnel. After the experience gained on numerous Pacific assaualts it was noticed alot of precious water was being wasted filling canteens, hence the cover modified for use as a funnel. I believe they saw use in late war assaults. I would keep them all. If you are interested in trading one, I have been looking for one. Just a thought.

Regards, Jimmy

• 1 year later...

I opened a thread asking the same question and from what we could tell by the time the cross-flap was first produced they were made with the drain hole. I came to this conclusion after seeing a document provided by Fausto dated 1943 and 2 drain hole cover marked DQP 1942-1943 from Jim. ('Flage Guy)

Those aren't drain holes!!! they were made to be used as a funnel and go over the opening of the canteen for faster filling with the 5 gal. water cans or etc. check the past post for this subject.

Due to the fact that there are "p2" canteen covers with the funnel hole I would assume that the cross flap covers with the funnel hole are earlier examples. It seems all cross flap covers with the funnel hole are mustard tan and sometimes have a visible DQP stamp. Unlike their darker colored counter part. So I would hold on to the covers with the funnel hole.

• 3 weeks later...

I just call them drain holes because of the fact that drain hole is one I've heard a lot. I mean to drain water into the canteen to stop good water form going the ground.

Those aren't drain holes!!! they were made to be used as a funnel and go over the opening of the canteen for faster filling with the 5 gal. water cans or etc. check the past post for this subject.

The water from the drains out of the water can into the cover that funnels it into the canteen.....

so it perfectly OK to say drain hole...because thats what it does......

LF

The water from the drains out of the water can into the cover that funnels it into the canteen.....

so it perfectly OK to say drain hole...because thats what it does......

LF

Yep, that's what I meant, but I don't blame him it kind of sounds like if any water gets into the cover itself it can drain, not a funnel.