US Army DSM #1251

0811gysgt

Army Distinguished Service MedalAwarded for actions during the World War I

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Army Distinguished Service Medal to Lieutenant Colonel (Ordnance Corps) Walter V. Shipley, United States Army, for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services to the Government of the United States, in a duty of great responsibility during World War I. As Quartermaster and Assistant Chief of Staff, G-1, 29th Division, from July 1917 until June 1919, by his untiring zeal, great energy, tact, and sound judgment Lieutenant Colonel Shipley was able to overcome many difficult problems of supply and assist to a marked degree in the operations of his division, thereby rendering services of great value to the American Expeditionary Forces.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 56 (1922)

Action Date: World War I

Service: Army

Company: Assistant Chief of Staff, G-1

Division: 29th Division, American Expeditionary Forces

Gentlemen,

One last question...

I may have the opportunity to purchase one or two foreign awards that may have been awarded to Col Shipley. Would he have had any foreign awards from Pakistan and/or Romania?

I believe that I also did purchase his WWI Victory Medal. Does anyone have any idea what campaign bars he would have rated on his WWI Victory Medal?

I purchased this medal from an antiques dealer who does not deal in medals or militaria, but has a few WWI era medals for sale. She has various early 1900's foreign awards, but also some different items such as early USMC Good Conduct Medal and various WWI Victory Medals.

Thank You again,

Rocco

Name: Walter Vincent Shipley
Race: white
Address: 27 W. Wylie Ave., Arlington, Baltimore Co.
Birth Place: Cockeysville, Md.
Birth Date: 01 Nov 1883
Comment: NG maj QMC; lt col QMC 11/10/18, Md. NG; Disbursing QM Baltimore Md. 6/19/17; Asst Div QM 29 Div 10/3/17; Div QM 29 Div 7/-/18; Div QM & Acting Asst Ch of Staff G-1 29 Div 2/7/19, Hon disch 6/16/19, Overseas 5/26/18 to 5/20/19, Center Sector; Meuse-Argonne, Distinguished Service Medal As Quartermaster and Assistant Chief of Staff, G-1, 29th Division, from July, 1917, until June, 1919, by his untiring zeal, great energy, tact, and sound judgment he was able to overcome many difficult problems of supply and assist to a marked degree in the operations of his division, thereby rendering services of great value to the American Expeditionary Forces

Is it possible that he could have been awarded the Order of the Crown Romania?

I would think not since he was a National Guard Quartermaster Lt. Col. - if the French did not give him anything I doubt that any other country would.

Bill

If someone has an old copy of "Who's Who", I bet he's in there and his foreign awards would be listed. I have had a group before with the Order of the Crown of Romania (and others) all awarded well after the end of WW1 (early 20s) for reconstruction.

Dave