Pork Sausage Patty, Maple Flavored

Mitter2k1

So my coworker and good friend came in to relieve me tonight and said he had something for me. He then explained that I would get one of my choice and one of his choosing, however, I had to eat the one he picked. So I took the bait and we went to his truck. In the back he had 2 cases of MREs. He said pick one that sounds good and I went with Menu 9 Beef Stew. He said it isn't half bad but I'm not going to like what he has. He pulled out a Menu 4 Pork Sausage Patty, Maple Flavored MRE. He told me that the guys on his last deployment classified these in a group. They are referred to as the "same sh*t, different sauce" family. I think it included the above mentioned, meatloaf, veggie burgers and some other meat patty garbage. So I'm guessing that these weren't well received. But here are the contents and some pics for those that may be interested.

Menu 4

Pork Sausage Patty, Maple Flavored 3.5oz

Dehydrated Granola with Milk and Blueberries 2oz

Crackers 1.33oz

Toaster Pastry, Chocolate Chip 1.8 oz

Maple Muffin Top 2.2oz

Apple Butter 1oz

Table Syrup 1oz

Nescafé Tasters Choice Freeze Dried Coffee

Beverage Base Orange Type III, Formulation H

Creamer, Non-Dairy Dry

Iodized Salt and Sugar packets

Chicklets

And the usual spoon, toilet paper, moist towelette, matches, hot beverage bag an the MRE heater.

I'll post some pics of the items as I eat them and give some feedback. I'm really not looking forward to that sausage patty. But anyways here are some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Had that for breakfast Tuesday morning in the field. It's one of the more popular MRE's. The patty itself isn't bad with the syrup, the Muffin Top is like an awesome pancake.

The menus are constantly changing...originally it came with a Scone (dry as crap), and I've also seen it with the Banana Nut Muffin Top that used to be specific to the Veggie Burger. Incidentally, there's a new menu out, Sausage Patty with Gravy, that has granola with banana

He had some like chicken with tomatoes and feta cheese. I've had a few of the older ones from the early 2000s, but this one kind of put me off. I remember the vegetarian tortellini was pretty good though the skittles would break a tooth.

I had one of these Sunday. This is probably my very favorite (minus the granola). The sausage really does taste good, for army food. The pop tart is nice and tasty, too.

I had one of these Sunday. This is probably my very favorite (minus the granola). The sausage really does taste good, for army food. The pop tart is nice and tasty, too.

Is there a secret to preparing the granola? I'm sure the ingenuity of the soldier has figured out a way to make everything slightly better with what's on hand. Also I noticed there wasn't any hot sauce. Is that in the dinner style meals or did they do away with it?

Tabasco lost their contract... but I doubt it would have found its way into this breakfast/sweet meal...not every meal had it

Granola...less water than the directions state, and be sure to remove the fresh packet inside first. I personally enjoy the granola

And they still make the tortellini

Is Pork Sausage Patty related to Polk Salad Annie? ( Probably only members over 45 will get that!) :lol:

That made me laugh.

Plenty of hot sauce men.

That will make everything taste like hot sauce. YUM

Well I broke down and ate it. I was actually kind of surprised. Convincing the wife was tricky, but I believed she liked it, or at least didn't complain. At it was by far better than some of the stuff she has cooked in the past. Here is my breakdown of what I've eaten so far.

Sausage Patty- It had a bit of an odd taste to it but it improved dramatically with the addition of the apple butter.

Apple Butter- This was actually good. Not grandmas homemade good, but better than some of the stuff I've gotten in a store.

Maple Muffin Top- Like Brig said, It's like an awesome pancake. Not bad with the apple butter either.

Toaster Pastry- Kind of dry but that is expected. Definitely not the worst pop tart I've ever eaten.

The stuff that came out of the sausage packet kind of made the wife cringe, but she stuck it out and ate her half. This actually wasn't as bad as I thought and it probably wouldn't bother me if I ate it again. I have definitely had some questionable meals since the wife isn't much of a cook. Maybe I should see about getting a case for that emergency ;) But here are the pics as promised for those that may be interested in seeing the actual food.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm sure the gelatinous fat on the patty was a turn off, it's thick and jelly like in the cold, and runny blob in the heat. I usually just scrape it off with the spoon

Well I broke down and ate it. I was actually kind of surprised. Convincing the wife was tricky, but I believed she liked it, or at least didn't complain. At it was by far better than some of the stuff she has cooked in the past. Here is my breakdown of what I've eaten so far.

Sausage Patty- It had a bit of an odd taste to it but it improved dramatically with the addition of the apple butter.

Apple Butter- This was actually good. Not grandmas homemade good, but better than some of the stuff I've gotten in a store.

Maple Muffin Top- Like Brig said, It's like an awesome pancake. Not bad with the apple butter either.

Toaster Pastry- Kind of dry but that is expected. Definitely not the worst pop tart I've ever eaten.

The stuff that came out of the sausage packet kind of made the wife cringe, but she stuck it out and ate her half. This actually wasn't as bad as I thought and it probably wouldn't bother me if I ate it again. I have definitely had some questionable meals since the wife isn't much of a cook. Maybe I should see about getting a case for that emergency ;) But here are the pics as promised for those that may be interested in seeing the actual food.

syty8uva.jpgsapupe3u.jpg

u7u9y3et.jpg

my3ugu9e.jpg

Well then perhaps you should cook ? After all your pretty handy with the MRE's :D

Thanks for all of the replies. Sometimes I feel the pain of the fingers working faster than the brain. Anyways, I did heat the MRE using the included heater. I didn't want to be unfaithful to the process and I didn't realize how fast they work. Man that thing gets hot in a hurry! I'll have to do the beef stew when I get around to it.

Thanks again,

Mike M.

• 2 weeks later...

I retired in 2008 but the last MREs I had were the ones being issued in 2004... before all the really interesting stuff started being fielded. That being said, of the ones available when I was in Iraq, my all time faves were the Chili mac and the Spaghetti, anything that had the white rice in it and the chicken with noodles. I'd put a cheese packet in all of these and with a couple of dashes of tobacco, was some really good eating. I always traded the chocolate, vanilla or strawberry shakes away for the orange cherry or grape beverage powder or more cheese packets. Any cookies, pop tarts or cakes I saved for a quick pick me up snack. I have a few MRE's here... maybe I should break them out and review them here...

A lot better than the track pad (dehydrated pork patty) and the gorilla cookie

The pork and beef track pads weren't bad... you just had to heat the water to reconstitute them... cold water wouldn't do it. Those were actually the only good ones out of the original issue of MREs (the dark brown bags). Glad they eventually got rid of the puke in a bag (Chicken ala King).

I have a few MRE's here... maybe I should break them out and review them here...

Please do! You can piggyback on this thread or start your own if you like. I think it would be a good place to show some of the members that haven't experienced a MRE firsthand. My next one will be beef stew. But I may be a while before I get to it.

Thanks

Mike M.

i'd enjoy seeing some one with a bunch of old c-rats from the nam break them out and open them up. especially the ham and lima beans (ham and lifers) which were absolutely inedible. i used to hoard the cigarettes, since i didn't smoke, and trade them for peaches and fruit cocktail. right, some of you may not know we used to get a small pack of cigarettes in every c-rat box.