Great Plains Wing (CAF) Air Museum, Council Bluffs, IA

gwb123

While the focus of the museum is World War II, there were items from other time periods as well.

The black and white photo is from Havana around the time of the Spanish American War. Aside from the troops that are pictured, I thought the huge wooden building was unique in itself.

Also, a flag flown over one of our bases in Afghanistan.

FF502.jpg

FF500 small.jpg

FF601.jpg

FF600.jpg

What drew me over to the museum this particular weekend was a visit by the Arizona Wing's B-17G Sentimental Journey.

Perhaps we will see other aircraft drop in for a visit as well.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/188189-b-17g-sentimental-journey/

I hope you have enjoyed this quick trip through one of our local museums. It is located right off of I-80 as you are coming into Council Bluffs, IA. If you can work it into your plans, it is worth the stop.

DD6.jpg

Great stuff, I find some of these "offshoot" museums to be really interesting as they are generally not bound by the rules of the larger institutions. It gives them more flexibility in their displays. Scott

Fantastic Gil! You and I both post such things regularly... I love to see the museums and monuments like this, I guess because I know there is a good chance that I will never make it to most of them.

Any displays from the aircrew training that went on in western Iowa in WW2? I know there were. Considerable number of four engined bombers which had mishaps there, but could be that was more towards Sioux City too.

MW

Any displays from the aircrew training that went on in western Iowa in WW2? I know there were. Considerable number of four engined bombers which had mishaps there, but could be that was more towards Sioux City too.

MW

I haven't gotten out to any of the training sites yet. There is a series of books on the training airfields of the midwest. I just passed up a set of them at our local Half Price Books. I'll have to see if I can remember the title.

• 1 month later...

Great museum. Thank you for the pics, interesting to see a german MP44 assault rifle there.

That surprised me as well. There was a sign in the window of the display case that said all of the weapons had been made inoperable. As I recall, the surface of the metal was a bit rough as well. But an original all the same.

That just reinforces the argument that visiting local museums can turn up some surprises.