Dogde AT truck, unusal 50 mount.

patches

Was this standard 50 mount on this type of vehical?

Swinging way out on a Dodge AT truck to fire the 50 mounted on the bummper, he looks like he's gotta hold on for dear life.

post-34986-0-59922900-1379526229.jpg

Totally impractical. Posed for the cameras. If he pressed the trigger button his accuracy would be zero and he'd be shaken off in no time at all! :o

doinworkinvans

In fact...the A/T gunners would be in grave danger of having their heads blown clean off!

BBAAAAHAHAHA - so true!!! WATCH OUT :blink:

AAF_Collection

The truck is a 1942 Dodge WC-55 37mm Gun Motor Carriage. Very few were built and AFAIK none went into action and most, if not all were converted back to being standard Weapons Carriers.

The bumper mounted .50 is indeed a field mod, not normally fitted to the M6 and was likely intended to defend against air attack, fine providing the enemy only approach from the rear!.

Matt.

Matt, Right and wrong. it is a WC-55 (also known as an M-6 Gun motor carriage) but they did see combat service in North Africa. They were quickly withdrawn as their limitations became known almost immediately. The guns were removed and the trucks converted into straight 3/4 ton Dodge cargo trucks. Some of the guns wound up mounted in Halftracks of the 2nd Armored division later in the war. The .50 mount is not standard for the M-6 but was added to provide some anti-aircraft protection. The rather flamboyant display was done apparently for the cameras.

Tom Bowers

It looks like some crazy stunt you'd see on the old Rat Patrol tv show! ^_^

Staged? No doubt. But still a neat pic. Thanks for posting it!

Terry

The makers of Rat Patrol weren't as clever as our boys :lol:

post-34986-0-46839700-1379571738.jpg

That "flying Jeep" isn't too far removed from the truth. There's a well-known sequence in a newsreel about the 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers which shows Jeeps towing 37mm A/T guns literally "leaping" over mounds and ditches! ( Betcha Kevin can locate that clip...or some stills from it! ;) )

AAF_Collection

Matt, Right and wrong. it is a WC-55 (also known as an M-6 Gun motor carriage) but they did see combat service in North Africa. They were quickly withdrawn as their limitations became known almost immediately. The guns were removed and the trucks converted into straight 3/4 ton Dodge cargo trucks. Some of the guns wound up mounted in Halftracks of the 2nd Armored division later in the war. The .50 mount is not standard for the M-6 but was added to provide some anti-aircraft protection. The rather flamboyant display was done apparently for the cameras.

Tom Bowers

Thanks for the correction Tom, I wasn't aware they had seen combat. Quite a few WC-55's survive(less gun) as they were supplied to Norway following WWII.

Matt.

That "flying Jeep" isn't too far removed from the truth. There's a well-known sequence in a newsreel about the 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers which shows Jeeps towing 37mm A/T guns literally "leaping" over mounds and ditches! ( Betcha Kevin can locate that clip...or some stills from it! ;) )

Right, I remember it, the 1941 one, have to check around.

But here is the the Piasecki VZ-8 Airgeep circa early 60s.

post-34986-0-49194500-1379695916.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I can say from experience jumping a jeep is nerve racking! My buddy and I restored a gpw well more assembled a gpw/mb/cj/m38. He was on a budget and it was something we planned to use and abuse and lemme tell you it took the abuse very well though we weren't reckless. Well anyways we reenact ww2 as well and did a winter tactical event well long story short I had the thing wound up in 3rd gear and launched it over the top of a hill (knowing that no one was in the area) and I got great airtime with it. Though I felt like I was going to go flying... and I had a steering wheel to hang onto felt bad for the guy in the seat next to me! These guys in this picture though... I don't think they were aware of the landing that came shortly after this picture... wouldn't be surprised if the guy in back bounced out!

-Cary

post-132797-0-66457400-1381187365.jpeg