B15 named

Tiger

Hi!

I own from several years this 'commercial' B15. The original owner was a guy named A. B. Pittaway, as writes on the breast leather name tag...

Is possible find any bio info about this unknown crew member?

Thanks in advance, Tiger

2dcbabp.jpg

29xu77o.jpg

As a matter of interest, why do you say it's a "commercial" jacket? I note the USAAF property mark on the sleeve...not usually seen on commercial jackets.

Hi Sabrejet!

In fact I never knew that kind of B15 it was... Yep, get his AAF logo, but is more simply of construction, with the frontal zip in the centre and not slightly by side as you can see on the 'common' B15.

Some time they pop out the market and went at a price lower that the standard B15..

Best,

doinworkinvans

WW2 Registry lists an Arthur Pittaway from Chicago, Illinois who was a B29 gunner. Might be the guy

Hey 38 - where did you go to look that up?

Thanks!

WW2 Registry lists an Arthur Pittaway from Chicago, Illinois who was a B29 gunner. Might be the guy

Great 38Driver!

Could be .. or better I hope it this!

You have found only the first name? Any traces of the 'B'?

Thanks!

doinworkinvans

Can you post more pics of the jacket...back, front, interior, zipper etc?

Yes please do - I would like to see what you are talking about the more "uncommon"

Yes...as you rightly said, a commercial copy. No rayon band across the inside / bottom, no snap-closed internal map pockets, no vertical seams at the shoulders...and a central zipper.

As far as I know, standard B15 (I got one, but I'm not be able to take a picture now), have main closures slightly offset to the right, more widely wool band and internal clipped pocket...

As far as I know, standard B15 (I got one, but I'm not be able to take a picture now), have main closures slightly offset to the right, more widely wool band and internal clipped pocket...

Correct.

Opsss.. I'm writing when you're doing the same!

Yes...as you rightly said, a commercial copy. No rayon band across the inside / bottom, no snap-closed internal map pockets, no vertical seams at the shoulders...and a central zipper.

Then it was as I thought.. Anyway these 'copy' must have been delivery in a big ammount, because is not difficult came across!

Thanks, Tiger

We have seen some of these commercial jackets on the forum in the past. I don't know why airmen needed to buy their own when they were an issue item?!

Good question... Maybe this only one of his big wardrobe! Curious also the AAF print on not issue stuff isn't it?

I'm quite sure only about one thing.. that's a period flight jacket!

doinworkinvans

We have seen some of these commercial jackets on the forum in the past. I don't know why airmen needed to buy their own when they were an issue item?!

That is a very very good question. One I have oftern pondered. My theory that I like to think is that they just completely wore it slam out from use! :)

That is a very very good question. One I have oftern pondered. My theory that I like to think is that they just completely wore it slam out from use! :)

Yep!

Could be a possibility!!!

I like this jacket!

From a look on the interenet, I think the Arthur Pittaway referred to above is Arthur W. Pittaway. Here is a reference to him on the 500th Bomb Group website.

http://flgrube1.tripod.com/id309.html

Pittaway, Arthur W, 13 Hinsdale, Medford, Mass

Here is another possibility, August B. Pittaway from Oklahoma. The little bit of history that I have found does not show him necessarily as part of an aircrew. However, it does explain why this is a private purchase jacket. If he was assigned to a USAAF unit, he may have been allowed to wear this coat but would not have would not have been issued one. It will definitely take more research to confirm the identity of A.B. Pittaway.

PITTAWAY, August B., Cpl.

Has been in service in signal corps on New Guinea and Philippines since leaving the States in October, 1943; entered the service August 31, 1942. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Pittaway of Mutual; is 23 years of age, and was a farmer.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ok/county/woodward/military/served4.html

Here is his gravestone inscription

PITTAWAY, AUGUST BURR TEC 5 US ARMY WORLD WAR II DATE OF BIRTH: 12/20/1921 DATE OF DEATH: 06/04/2008 BURIED AT: MOORELAND CEMETERY NORTH MAIN MOORELAND, OK 73852 (580) 256-6097

Hi, Beast!

Thanks for your compliments and interesting!

Even if I would be more happy if 'my' Pittaway was a B29 gunner, your find sounds better! Would be nice to know some more about the A. B. Pittaway career!

Now I'm asking to myself ... yep, some mechanic work occasionally flying jacket in their working duty, but also to not flying soldiers was allowed to sewn on their breast a leather nametag?

Tiger

It might be a post-war "re-union jacket" worn by Mr Pittaway when he attended annual get-togethers with his former comrades?

Hi, Sabre!

Could be everything! I was not around at the time that Mr. Pittaway wore this jacket, however I don't think that's a reunion jacket. A jacket wore for that use, unless it was the real combat one, are more folkloristic, adorned and less weared.. In my opinion is more credible the Beast's thesis:

"However, it does explain why this is a private purchase jacket. If he was assigned to a USAAF unit, he may have been allowed to wear this coat but would not have would not have been issued one"

Tiger

I have seen a few of these "b15's" they look like a cross over from the B10 /B15 personally i have kept away from them but now im beginning to wonder about them !!

nice C type helmet and g type oxygen mask in the original photo

LB

Hi!

Yep, its the name which I call these b15, 'crossover' between B10 and B15!

Thanks for the compliments! Happy to hear that you like my still life...

Best, Tiger