Review on a Uniform

TrevorR

I found a WWII USMC Dress Blues jacket for sale on line and would like input if I should purchase this or not.

9795254306_742331d002_b.jpg
panzer 2 1543 by somekid1991, on Flickr

9795220795_93ca6daa9c_b.jpg
panzer 2 1544 by somekid1991, on Flickr

9795301113_b122cbd5f5_b.jpg
panzer 2 1545 by somekid1991, on Flickr

9795301083_bb3663b340_b.jpg
panzer 2 1546 by somekid1991, on Flickr

9795301023_a989e3c7b3_b.jpg
panzer 2 1547 by somekid1991, on Flickr

9795300913_4fa5b44278_b.jpg
panzer 2 1548 by somekid1991, on Flickr

The uniform itself is not World War II - most likely 1950's or later. World War II dress blues did not have front pockets. The shoulder patches were also dropped after the war, so by the time this pattern uniform was in use - shoulder patches were not worn.

The EGA's are wrong, no doubt but the patch may be right. I have had Marine Dress blues from that period when they switched over to the new style, and some def. had SSI's on them. Not many, but probably 3 or 4 over the years. The Corporal stripes are WW2 private purchase style, and the ones I came across usually had the early 1930's style two piece chevrons on them.

I think the most accepted date on the start of the four pocket blues is the 46-47 timeframe. The Marine discontinued wearing SSI around 1947. It could be possible the patch is original to the jacket but more than likely not.

Is the jacket named on the inside? If named we can research him and that would let you know more than anything if the jacket is legit or not.

But as others have said the EGA's are wrong.

Unless it is an officer Blues coat, any enlisted 4 pocket with a SSI on the sleeve i've seen was a put together coat.

As stated above there are a few out there but they are the exception not the rule.

I started a post on this very subject a while back but I believe the 4 pocket for the Enlisted was approved in late 1946 and the SSI had to be taken off by Jan 1st 1947, that gives it a window of around 6 months for Marines to actually wear this uniform with the SSI. Of course some Enlisted Marines after WWII made there own custom four pocket coats. Again, the exception not the rule.

If it's named that should be helpful to figure out what time period it is from, but as everyone has stated there are many issues with the coat.

Keep in mind there are a lot of great postwar Blues out there named to WWII vets. Below is a link to my blog of a post war dated four pocket coat named to a China Marine who fought at Tarawa, Saipan, Guam and Iwo Jima (BS w/ V and PH) . Yes not WWII dated, but excellent example of a WWII Vet coat.

http://marinesinforestgreen.blogspot.com/2012/09/wwii-usmc-gunnery-sergeant-2nd-division.html

I'm still hurting for a no pocket SSI coat as well, but so far I have yet to see one that fits my criteria.

Good Luck!

Leonardo