Interviewing Vietnam Marine...where to start?

Squeaker

One of my old Boy Scout leaders was a Marine in Vietnam. I have seen his plaque and shadow box that was made up when he retired. No are no high valor awards or anything highly unusual. He was just a good soldier that did his job and retired. With so much talk on this forum about not getting stories and information from loved ones and friends before they passed, I though I would take some initiative. This man is on O2 constantly and takes LOTS of medicine. He said the doctor hasn't officially said it, but he expects he has a no more than 1.5 years left.

I try to visit him at his home every week or do, but it's usually just chit chat and "good to see you". I would like to get as much information about his service as he is willing to tell me. I understand that once thru begin to talk, my job is to just listen, the problem us I don't know where to begin. I don't know exactly where he was or what units he was in. I am hoping that someone here can give me some advice, especially some of you that have done this extensively to write books. I am not attempting to write any books or publicize his story, this is purely for my memory and historical preservation. he said that few of the OIF/OEF veterans are interested in the VFW in our town. I'm afraid that his story, like many others before him, will be reduced to a patch and ribbon bar mounted in a wooden frame.

If you have gotten this far in my ramblings, thank you. Please leae me any advice as to how to approach this interview/research process. Thank you.

How old are you? I ask in order to help place a level of "common ground" between the two of you. Also, to get a feeling of how receptive he may be to talk with you about war experiemces.

I am 27. He has told me things to the effect of "when I was in, I sure cleaned up well in my blues" in reference to ladies, or how he used to pick fights with Army guys over their patches. That is about as voluntarily open as he has been about his service without me asking questions.

one of the routes i would suggest would be to ask him about the men he served with---where they were from, what were they like, funny stories---it's been my experience that people are more comfortable talking about their friends in the beginning, and once that is established, he might be more willing to talk about his own time in uniform. an obvious opening line, though cliched, is to ask why he believes the corps is better than the army. i doubt he will be able to resist that one. good luck.

I am 27. He has told me things to the effect of "when I was in, I sure cleaned up well in my blues" in reference to ladies, or how he used to pick fights with Army guys over their patches. That is about as voluntarily open as he has been about his service without me asking questions.

Well, age is not a issue. If all else fails, just ask him if he is up to talking about the war experience. This is a respectful question, and can cut through a lot of dancing around.

patchtrader864

At this point in his life he may like to tell about his service . ask him how long he was in , how old he was , what year when he went in , about boot camp, where he was at after boot camp, year he was in Nam, what unit ,his M.O.S. ( job ) most people think of the combat ask him about the weather ,how hot , wet , cold , if he was wounded ,if he has a combat action ribbon ,

ARVN troops, Korean Marines , then ask about his combat . Paul

Thank you for all the tips. I am going to download the Veterans History Project packet and go from there. One more question, my handwriting is on par with DRUNKEN chicken scratch, and I often don't remember my own shorthand notes. Should I just invest in a good recorder and take notes once I get home? I know many phones will record, but they are low quality. Anyone have suggestions for a good recorder?

Dustin

I've conducted a few interviews and here are my thoughts. Take 'em for what they're worth.

-Do as much research on his unit and service as possible and make notes. Feel free to refer to the notes during the interview but don't turn the interview into a question and answer session. Let the veteran speak. Use your notes to guide him back on topic if necessary.

-Do use photos if he has them, an excellent point was made earlier about having him bring out his photos. They stimulate memories and you will get a more in-depth interview.

-Talk to him before hand and give him an idea of what you would like to talk about. Also ask him if he has photos available. This gives him time to find things before the interview.

-Rehearse your questions; go over what you are going to ask and how you are going to ask it. This will put you more at ease and the subject will be more relaxed

-Do the interview in a place that is the most comfortable and convenient for him.

-Once again, let him talk and don’t rush him.

-If possible, plan on a follow up visit. When you get home, you’ll think about what he said and realize that you want more detail on something. Just remember that he is doing you the favor by talking to you, not the other way around.

If you are recording the interview then:

-Be aware of your surroundings, nothing is more irritating than listening to your interview and hearing distracting background noise such as a ceiling fan.

-Place the microphone as close to the vet as possible, this will help eliminate some of the background noise. A clip on mike works well.

-Make sure you have fully charged batteries

-Have a back-up plan in case technology fails you.

If you use a video recorder (highly recommended) then:

-See all the above recommendations for audio interviews and follow them

-Watch your lighting. If you are interviewing in a room that has natural lighting, be aware that the light will shift as the interview goes on. I had an interview that started with the subject well lighted and by the end it looked like he was in the witness protection program.

-Have a tripod for your camera. You want to be as less intrusive as possible. The camera should just be part of the background.

There are members here with a great deal more than I at interviewing; hopefully they will chime in with their tips too!

Good luck!