Gentex plastic flier!

Tiger

Hallo!

It's my first post on this forum, and I hope will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship (as Rick/Bogart tells to the french policeman at the end of Casablanca)!

The helmet you see was buying by myself when I have been in USA, quite lots of time ago! I have ever ask to myself which is the era in which he fought... Pre or post Vietnam? Navy chopper?

Any thought welcome!

Best, Tiger

post-132624-0-38124500-1379414225.jpg

northcoastaero

The helmet is a SPH-3B or SPH-3C for use in helicopters. SPH stands for Sound Protective Helmet. Used by the USN/USMC and

USCG. This helmet is a USN or USMC one because of the type of communications cable being used. This cable was used in

helicopters except for the H-60 Seahawk. Also, the cable was used in patrol aircraft such as the P-3 Orion. This type of

helmet was introduced around 1967-68 and was used into the 1990s. Later style visor lock knobs are being used along with an

earlier (1970s-early 1980s) M-95B/UR boom microphone assy. Also, the liner for the earlier helmets would be a suspension

assy. Later ones used a black leather covered form fit liner. The liner on this helmet appears to be a Styrofoam one that

was used with the suspension assy. The helmet is covered in 100% reflective tape to aid in rescue. The tape design may

represent a specific squadron. Because the helmet is covered in 100% tape with a large part of the design being white

and the use of the later style blue visor lock knobs leads me to believe that the helmet is from the later 1980s to the 1990s

era. Usually helmets in this era will have the form fit liner and the M-87/AIC black microphone element on a black ball and

socket type boom. There could also be a rectangular amplifier installed in between the boom microphone cable and the larger

communications cable. This was used in most helicopters. The Velcro patch on the right side of the visor housing is for

attachment of the SDU-5/E strobe light that is used in signaling in survival situations. I will do more research on the

helmet design to see if it relates to a specific squadron. Also, the SPH-3B had a fiberglass shell and

the SPH-3C had a Kevlar shell.

northcoastaero

A manufacturers tag would be on the outside or inside lower edge of the shell. Also, there may be a contract date (.....-C) on the small tag around the larger communications cable. A tag could be covered up by the Styrofoam liner.

Many thanks Northcoastero! Simply perfect!

Among other things, I had founded the helmet in a place (that I didn't recall well) on your side of States!

Thanks very much!

Best, Tiger

Hi there! Thanks also to you Manayunkman!

There's a 'silver' manifature's tag with Gentex logo under the left earphone... On the other side some hand writing with one that looks a name: Whalen ..

Again, I have find a date on the connector on the back, it say DLA900-82 ... so an early 80s helmet!

Thanks to all!

Hi there! Thanks also to you Manayunkman!

There's a 'silver' manifature's tag with Gentex logo under the left earphone... On the other side some hand writing with one that looks a name: Whalen ..

Again, I have find a date on the connector on the back, it say DLA900-82 ... so an early 80s helmet!

Thanks to all!

Yes, a 1982 contract shell, which makes sense. In addition to the other things pointed out by northcoastaero, the helmet has the later style Nomex cloth components in the liner and chinstrap, and the wide Velcro adjustment at the back or nape of the neck. The earlier, Vietnam-era helmets had leather reinforcing behind the O2 mask snaps on cotton cloth lining, and narrow nylon buckled nape strap and chinstrap. By the late 80's and early 90's, the TPL liners became more common.

Very odd that it has that early microphone though, instead of an M-87.

northcoastaero

HS-5 could be the USN squadron flying the SH-3 Sea King helicopter. Check out bluejacket.com for the USN squadron

patch/insignia page. Also, the liner seems to have USAF style fitting pads glued to the Styrofoam liner. I have

never seen this done on a SPH-3B or SPH-3C. Usually just used the suspension or the form fit liner. Check out

flighthelmet.com for SPH form fit liners for sale. Also, I believe that an amplifier was used between

the communications cables for this aircraft. Usually used on present era helicopters except for the

TH-57. The original visor lock knobs for the helmet were the white tapered style, later replaced with the

blue taller knobs.

Thanks for your input too, B229!

Very odd that it has that early microphone though, instead of an M-87.

I don't know much about these stuff, but seems to me that nothing was changed from the era this helmet was built. Also because all the studs made for fixing linear, earphones and the other parts of lining are under the tape. Nothing could be changed without cut or remove the tape.. And the tape has not been manipulated in any way..

Best, Tiger

Hi to you too, Nothcoastaero!

HS-5 could be the USN squadron flying the SH-3 Sea King helicopter. Check out bluejacket.com for the USN squadron
patch/insignia page. Also, the liner seems to have USAF style fitting pads glued to the Styrofoam liner. I have
never seen this done on a SPH-3B or SPH-3C. Usually just used the suspension or the form fit liner. Check out
flighthelmet.com for SPH form fit liners for sale. Also, I believe that an amplifier was used between
the communications cables for this aircraft. Usually used on present era helicopters except for the
TH-57. The original visor lock knobs for the helmet were the white tapered style, later replaced with the
blue taller knobs.

I'll check the site you're talking about! Thanks a lot!

Tiger

Hi there!

I have found on forum's pages this helmet from Bebel member (that I hope will forgive me if I use an image

from him!).

His art seems almost the same of mine. Another age, of course, but same 'lightning' on each side, background and stripe and stars on the 'dome'. He refer to be owned by a SAC aircrewman (SAC stand for Strategic Air Command?).

Any input wil be warmly appreciate!

Tiger

post-132624-0-76512100-1379463171.jpg

northcoastaero

The USAF Strategic Air Command helmet pictured appears to be a modified P-1B or a P-3. I have seen SAC helmets with decals that had white stars on a blue background. The oxygen mask is a MS-22001. The set is probably from the mid 1950s. The V on the sides of your SPH-3B/C helmet is probably the Roman numeral for the number 5, representing the squadron HS-5. Same with the five stars on the back of the helmet.