Quad 50's - LeClaire, Iowa War Memorial

MWalsh

Yeah, it was all cob webby and dusty, drought conditions and all in that area.

yes it's been so dry here that dust/cobwebs are on everything ... no rain to rinse it off.

normally it would be fairly "clean"... at least "rained on" clean.

I can't believe that some of those 50s have their rear sights yet. Plenty of parts that could vanish.

Tom Bowers

Not to mention the guns themselves. I wonder if they even bothered to demil them?

Cobrahistorian

Not to mention the guns themselves. I wonder if they even bothered to demil them?

They've probably been tack welded in a bunch of places. One of mine was done that way and I've seen it done on a few other quads.

AAF_Collection

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the right hand sideplate of a .50 is a restricted item in the U.S.? perhaps these are in fact dummy guns, though they don't look like it.

Matt.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the right hand sideplate of a .50 is a restricted item in the U.S.? perhaps these are in fact dummy guns, though they don't look like it.

Matt.

The military gets a pass when it comes to making display weapons. If you go to the Ft Hood museums and static displays (tons of them all over the base) they all have still live M2's on them with just minor welding to close them up.

This display is most likely still owned by the Army just on indefinite loan.

Cobrahistorian

Matt,

Removing the sideplate is an involved affair that someone looking to steal it would have a difficult time doing. It's easier to remove all moving parts and tack weld everything to everything. It doesn't demil the weapon per BATFE specs as you'd have to do as a private civilian, but as SVT40 said it is still under military ownership and controlled by the Army's Center of Military History.

AAF_Collection

Thanks Jon, interesting info. Here in the UK having an intact RHSP is no problem as a civilian, it's the barrel and certain internals which have to be deactivated/demilled.

Matt.

Cobrahistorian

Ian,

Looks like that one has the original WWII generator too. Of the turrets I have, not one has the original WWII generator setup. It is absurd how rare that "Little Joe" generator is...

AAF_Collection

Jon, Are you looking for a Little Joe? if so please can you PM me details of what they look like as I seem to turn up WWII era generators from time to time, and I'm only really interested in the AAF APU's.

Matt.

Cobrahistorian

Matt,

I'll try to get some images scanned today. Of the seven M45 turrets in the collection (3 M16 halftracks, 3 M55 Quads and 1 M51 Quad), three have generators, but they're all Vietnam-vintage. The other three just have battery mounts and no generators. It's frustrating!

They've probably been tack welded in a bunch of places. One of mine was done that way and I've seen it done on a few other quads.

Yes, you're probably right. It most likely came through CMH's loan program, so TAACOM probably has some standard for making them in-op, even if it's temporary. I just know that in the past people didn't always follow the rules on this sort of thing.

Cobrahistorian

Yes, you're probably right. It most likely came through CMH's loan program, so TAACOM probably has some standard for making them in-op, even if it's temporary. I just know that in the past people didn't always follow the rules on this sort of thing.

Say it ain't so! :)