A... cannon? - But what the heck is it exactly?

MWalsh

I came across this cannon at a park in northeast Iowa. I drove past and thought hmmmm.... looks like a.... cannon?

So I drove back and stopped and got some pics. I did not see any obvious markings on it, but the hornets nesting in it and buzzing around while I took pics kept me from looking more closely. Sadly, it is not in the bext of shape, but does look mainly intact. I think. :)

Anyone know what this thing is?

MW

post-440-0-42541500-1379391253.jpg

MW, thanks for posting this unusual monument!

I'm curious though, whereabouts in NE Iowa did you find this? I was born and raised in those cornfields but don't recall ever seeing anything like this.

thanks,

Terry

Bob,

I don't follow ?

I know that if I put a piece of breech loading artillery in my front yard, someone official would want to see some paperwork. :)

"a destructive device is a type of firearm or explosive device regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934...Examples of destructive devices include grenades, and firearms with a bore over one half of an inch" (muzzle loaders excluded).

This one is apparently "preserved" somewhere in Wisconsin.

Yup, I believe that area is a little bit South of Milwaukee and a little North of Chicago on I-94.