USMC EGA cap or collar device?

pwdickens76

I have been collecting WWII militaria for several years but USMC gear and insignia are new to me. I have read several post in the EGA reference but I am still at a loss! Being honest I can't tell the difference in the EGA's other than the ones my brother had while he was an active Marine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is an EGA I found on the popular auction site and need some help. There are only two pics and from what I have read I can't tell if its real or a repro or a counterfeit. Also is there a difference in the size of the collar and cap devices?

post-122875-0-33846400-1379375921.jpg

This is a real WWII era EGA. used from 1937 to 1955. This is an Enlisted Service uniform emblem for the Left Collar or Overseas cover. I see these see quite a bit for around the $5 range. Sometimes more and some times less.

I'm still a little confused about te EGA's. The devices with the fouled anchor are officer devices? Second, are all screwbacks from 1955 and earlier or do they still use screwbacks. And if I read right clutch backs were made from WWII til present? Or were clutch backs made earlier than WWII?

Fouled anchor devices pre-55 were larger and used on covers, collar emblems did not have the rope until after 1955 for either officer or enlisted

Screwbacks have been used on EGA's for over 100 years, clutchbacks were used heavily during Korea and a bit before and after, thought some examples are known to have been used in the 1930s and there are still companies that use them today. There's no real definite period of usage for them

Thanks Brig. That clears things up a little more. I really appreciate the info. I am new to collecting USMC militaria and some of this stuff is kinda Greek to me.

I recently purchased a small lot of USMC items, a set of Alphas with some extra button up shirts, couple of neck ties, utility trousers, khaki overseas cap, wool overseas cap and two HBT covers with the open EGA. I purchased these thinking they were WWII items but after reading the reference forums I am pretty certain they r late Korean War or post-KW items.

teufelhunde.ret

.... I purchased these thinking they were WWII items but after reading the reference forums I am pretty certain they r late Korean War or post-KW items.

Officially "clutch-fasteners" were prescribed (appeared) in the 1929 reg's (Officer & Enlisted). There are some enlisted collar emblems, made by Meyer, that can be attributed to the 30's as Brig has mentioned and easily mistaken w/ those frame another era. The earliest "clutch-fasteners" were Patented in 1922, known as the Phinney "tie-tac", those and other tie-tac knockoffs were prevalent on Officer insignia of the 30's.

It has long been speculated the first likely usage of "clutch-back" emblems started w/ the issue of battle jackets to the 1st Division Marines that went to Australia after the Canal. The pic below shows one Marine with a suspected clutch-back over the Col's shoulder and the Marine behind MGen Vandegrift w/o collar emblems. Needless to say, creates a good debate and we may never know for sure?

In any case, 1951 was the first specified use of a clutchback on an enlisted uniform, this practice of the clutch-back tied to specific uniform articles and use was terminated with the uniform reg's of 1963. At this time a manuscript, on the history of EGA's is in the production line at Bender Publishing, the manuscript has more than 350 pages, 2000+ pics and 50+ page plus index. At this moment we expect to start review of gallery proofs at or shortly after the holidays and the book will be available mid-late spring. You will find more info / pics for clutchbacks an a whole lot more.

General Alexander Vandegrift and Colonel Amor Sims, Commanding Officer, 7th Marines review the regiment..jpg

Thanks Teufelhunde I'll keep an eye out for the early clutch-fasteners if I happen to run across any. I can see that collecting USMC militaria takes a keen eye and a lot of experience. I really appreciate all the help from you guys and hope I can share some EGA's when I get my hands on them.