Parachutes

cea1274

I bought a collection of Korean and Vietnam era parachutes how do you tell if they are troop chutes or aviator chutes is their a good pic of the different aviator chutes

Chris

It's all about the diameter of the chute with two principle categories personnel and cargo then from there breaks down exposing a whole variety so start with diameters first or part number on the chute, that can be cross referenced. troop and aviator are the same thing both personnel.

I don't believe he was asking about cargo chutes, but rather airborne versus aviator chutes. A very basic difference in the two is the airborne chutes were activated by a static line connected to an anchor line inside the aircraft. The aviation chutes were either back or seat packs, with both being activated by the individual wearing the chute by pulling a "rip cord" after bailing out of the disabled aircraft. To prevent confusion where reserve chutes worn by airborne forces, this was also activated by the wearer when the main chute malfunctioned, whereas aviation chutes were rarely fitted with a reserve chute--the exception being crew-served aircraft. Basic, I know, but I hope this is of some help. Jack Angolia

Ok, we are addressing two different aspects

are we talking about PARACHUTES or complete PARACHUTE PACK ASSEMBLIES?

PARACHUTES- diameter determines its use whether for personnel or cargo.

PARACHUTE PACK ASSEMBLIES- especially within the jet age have a wide variety. So if this the case pics are necessary.

WWII Parachutist

Post part numbers for the pack, harness, and if possible, the canopy. From this we can figure out exactly what type it is, if it was modified for the civilian market, etc.

WWII Parachutist

All are aircrew escape type parachutes, not airborne troop chutes. From the pictures, the containers appear to be the B-4 style. The first two harnesses look like B-4s, the gray one is Navy. The tan chute is civilian. I will try to get back with more detailed information.

Joshua

All seem to be from USAF or US Army except this one from 1952 (Pioneer mfg?) which could be civilian. Joshau is right saying they are "B-4" called.

They are from the 50C7024-xx serie (where xx is a dash number between -1 (in 1950) and -29 (circa 70/80s)). All assemblies are made depending the aircraft in which they are used and ahve a dedicated dash number.

Your first (dated 1957) could have been good for an USAF fighter pilot if dated before 1954/55. Unfortunately, this version was not more used by them at this date. This one was the model used by USAF in Korean war. From circa 1955, this model has been replaced by a new 50C7024-xx serie (the "BA-xx" serie also called "B-5"). They have some new features as the single one Capewell canopy release on the left shoulder, a new harness, a new canopy bag and a new canopy (I'm looking these models! ;) ). Circa 1958, another change was made and USAF came back to the two shoulders canopy releases system. It was from the 50C7024-18 or BA-18 version.

Parachute assemblies from this period are very difficult well to know.

Franck