civilian defense badges

notinfringed

notinfringed

Hello All. I just picked up a Civilian Defense warden's badge. I was looking over some older posts, And I thought it might be neat to start a thread to show some of the hundreds of varieties that are probably out there. I know Fred Borgmann mentioned having several, perhaps he could show his. Here is my one and only.

post-2011-1208596433.jpg

post-2011-1208596372.jpg

I was wondering if these were worn all the way through the fifties, or just in the forties? Also, the screw-back and single pin on mine look like the hat badges from the military. Were these to be worn on a breast pocket or as a hat Badge? If a hat badge, what did the hat look like? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Levi

I believe yours is a hat badge from the 1950s, when Civil Defense was in full bloom many CD personel wore what we would call police type uniforms and had police type hats. CD was very big until the mid 1960s when it began to peter out due to the reduction government funds alocated for it. My neighbor was a high ranking paid CD official in my area and his job was gone by the 1970s.

• 2 years later...

Here are a couple of my badges,

post-11627-1283649106.jpg

Indianapolis, Indiana CD Police cap badge, 1950's. Features darkened washed outer features and a painted CD symbol.

post-11627-1283649119.jpg

Ohio Auxiliary Police badge, typical 1950's-60's issue with enameled CD symbol.

Collectible buggers these are :lol: