Fort Wayne, Detroit and Tuskegee Museum

ScottG

I spent the weekend at Historic Ft. Wayne in Detroit for "Civil War Days". My son's unit Bledsoe's Battery CSA attends this event regularly and its worth the trip if you like fortifications and neat old buildings. The Fort was of course built on the Detroit River as a response to the British Forts in Canada, particularly Ft. Malden in Amherstburgh across the river and a bit to the south. While no shots were ever fired in anger from Ft. Wayne, its military contribution to the US is significant.

Troops from the Civil War through Vietnam have entered service here, prisoners were kept here, Chaplain School was here for two years before the move to Kansas, and many of the vehicles and part used by the allies in WWII processed through here. There is of course much more, but perhaps this brief intro will spur more research from the readers.

Here is the entry way to the earthworks fort. Within the tunnels are a series of concrete and brick casemates that can be explored. Scott.

100_5144_zpsb5f3507e.jpg

Here are some firing ports added during the Civil War expansion for fear of Canada allowing the Confederates to cross through their territory and invade the north. Scott.

100_5145_zps39197ebc.jpg

The inner tunnels that are under the earthworks. Quite dark and believed to be haunted. These as well as other buldings were featured on Haunted Collector this year. Scott.

100_5146_zps5b7934db.jpg

As you leave the tunnel entrance, you come into the inner fort where the original garrison barracks is undergoing a full restoration. The façade is quite nice and the City if Detroit is currently working on a $200,000 project to finish the rear of the building and the upper floors. Scott.

100_5147_zps168c3bfb.jpg

A shot of the rear where the current renovations are ongoing. It is great to see the city of Detroit undertake this when all of the news from here is centered around bankruptcy and crime. Scott.

100_5156_zps06c9c280.jpg

Inside one of the casemates with firing ports, facing the Detroit River. Check out the "orbs" I caught in the shot, kind of creepy.... Scott

100_5148_zpsfb746f02.jpg

Here is a shot of one of the casemate tunnels that leads to the river access side of the fort (east). More "orbs" which is really weird as there was no one to stir up dust an my lense is clean. Scott.

100_5151_zps3b9fabad.jpg

This is the opposite (south) side vehicle entrance that was added prior to WWI. The Cannon and mortar atop are decorative sandstone replicas that were added when this gate was made. This gate also allows access to the post housing area, headquarters, parade ground, shops, and the vast majority of the remaining buildings which I will show. Scott.

100_5155_zps20452072.jpg

This is the guard house from the Spanish American War. This was featured on Haunted Collector and I believe that they found nothing here. Scott.

100_5166_zps01f9d1d6.jpg

On the grounds of the fort at the head of NCO Row in one of the old post NCO houses is the Museum of the Tuskegee Airmen. They have a big history in the city of Detroit with the former Mayor Coleman Young being one as well as Col. Alexander Jefferson, and many others. The museum is small but they do have some great items. Unfortunately the glass makes photography very hard. Scott

100_5189_zps2dca326b.jpg

Thanks for posting. A lot of people forget that the United States took the threat of invasion through Canada very seriously during the early part of the Civil War.

Back where my family is from Fort Niagara was also rearmed, and later also used for Confederate prisoners I believe.

A century later, a camp was built there for German prisoners, some of whom were detailed to harvest apples on my mother's family farm.

Hopefully Detroit can move forward with the restoration process and produce a first class historical site.

A really bad pic from glare... It is an em 4 pocket with the double brass on the collar. Sorry but the lighting is really bright and this is with no flash and at an angle. Scott.

100_5191_zps2e19c8ea.jpg

A grouping from one of the pilots. As I said, there are only a few actual displays but they do have a lot of pictures, models, and other misc. smalls. Its worth a visit while at the fort or in Detroit. Scott

100_5194_zps62e87184.jpg