WWII REVERSIBLE SURVIVAL HAT

BEAST

Recently, I was given a group from a WWII B-29 pilot. Included in the group were a few items from the C-1 vest. One of these items was the HAT WITH ADJUSTABLE BAND, 2 COLORS. I have seen the Vietnam era versions of these but not the WWII, so I was pretty pleased that it was included.

Yellow side out

post-203-0-18517300-1379284007.jpg

Green side out

post-203-0-28158300-1379284013.jpg

Some of the other survival related items from the gorup

post-203-0-58041600-1379283689.jpg

Wow, i never knew they had these in WWII...pretty cool!....mike

Thanks Mike! Here is a small write-up on the use of the hat. It comes from the small booklet shown in the center of the group photo.

post-203-0-08376400-1379285534.jpg

It's nomenclature is simply HAT,SUN. It was developed in 1943 for the obvious reason of sun protection. It's initial intended use was for life rafts but quickly graduated for use in sustenance kits. Inclusion in the C-1 vest was only a snap shot of a much larger picture of it's use. IMO it is a common hat making hundreds of thousands of them but desirable because every Tom, Dick & Harry has a C-1 vest.

• 4 years later...

U.S.Army Aircraft Survival Kit Reversible Sun Hat, Orange & Woodland Camouflage

I found a Woodland Camouflage version of the hat dated 1999 on eBay

I have attached a couple of photos.

The ink label on the orange side reflects:

HAT, SUN REVERSIBLE
8415-00-270-0229
SPO100-99-M-CA45
NEW BANNER, INC.

post-129049-0-55032100-1518999391.png

I have one just as in the OP. It appears the newer hats had no grommets. Mine are unpainted. The only markings are on the brim of the yellow side. 44G3062

Beast, is yours marked at all?

Dave

I have one just as in the OP. It appears the newer hats had no grommets. Mine are unpainted. The only markings are on the brim of the yellow side. 44G3062

Dave

Hey Dave,

I don't believe there were any markings on it, but I'll dig it out this weekend and check.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave

Dave,

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I dug the hat out today and it does not have any markings on it at all.

​for the WWII sun hat you will only observe the drawing number stamped onto the brim. The drawing specifies the color OD-7 and No.120 yellow, however it was an authorized deviation if the jungle cloth in OD-7 was not available OD-3 or OD-2 was an approved substitution. The two contractors for the WWII sun hat were Simpson Sons & Co., and Beautypuff Products Co.