WW1 Era USN Officer and WO Branch and Rank Insignia

KurtA

I lucked into this grouping at a show yesterday. All of this originated from some old forgotten stock of a now defunct Philadelphia insignia company. All are very large as worn shortly before WW1 (I included a coin for a size reference). These were pinned to the shoulder strap of the white uniform. The shoulder strap would have rank and a branch insignia.

Top Row- Admiral star (USMC General)

2nd row L-R - Pay Director, Civil Engineer, Chief Sailmaker

3rd row - Professor of Mathematics, Naval Constructor, Chief Machinist

4th Row Captain (USMC Colonel), Chief Carpenter, Captain (USMC Colonel)

post-322-0-09931300-1379283492.jpg

Wow, those are great. They were authorized for white uniforms for about six months in 1913: Specified in the new Uniform Regulations January 25, and rescinded by an order of June 24 in favor of the traditional shoulder boards. I think the same type of devices were used during WW1 for wear on Army uniforms by some USN personnel in Europe, but I don't know any details. Thanks for posting!

Justin B.

From 1913 regs:

post-3982-0-25765300-1379292425.jpg

Justin-

Thanks very much for the additional info and excellent photos. (I also obtained a LCDR leaf as shown in your photo, but I viewed it as too boring to include in my photo.) Strange there was no Line Officer anchor in the lot I purchased. The seller had a bunch of Rikers. I wonder if I missed it?!?

Kurt

• 4 years later...

Forgive me but I thought someone here might appreciate this like I did: The Construction Corps pin device making an appearance on "Captain Brookman, Stellar Intelligence Corps" on the old science fiction series The Outer Limits. The episode is "Nightmare," 1963.

post-3982-0-79741100-1518825404_thumb.jpg