Fourth Replacement Depot,8th Army

doyler

Found this at a out door antque and flea market in August.Didint have an ID for the patch.Took it to ASMIC and Dave Johnson knew what it was immediately(Thanks again Dave).

Im sure its not super rare and its not airborne but has a nice look and quality to the construction of the patch.Also a nice in country made MUC on the sleeve.

post-342-0-38139800-1379268388.jpg

Forum member camonick’s grandfather was assigned to 4th Replacement Depot ca. 1945/46.

Link here and here to see posts showing his uniform (without 4th R.D. patch, alas) as well as several period group photos from the unit and Camp Zama, Japan, which was 4th Replacement Depot home station.

Thanks for the update Wailuna! I haven't been on the forum for a very long time. I notice that Ike has the "mysterious" MUC patch on it also.... I just wish I knew more about it and why that unit received it.

Thanks Nick

Forum member camonick’s grandfather was assigned to 4th Replacement Depot ca. 1945/46.

Link here and here to see posts showing his uniform (without 4th R.D. patch, alas) as well as several period group photos from the unit and Camp Zama, Japan, which was 4th Replacement Depot home station.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if there was a MUC to the 8th Army and it was worn by all assigned??

I wonder if there was a MUC to the 8th Army and it was worn by all assigned??

Sixth and Eighth Army are both listed in the Army Unit Citation Register during the time in question but in each case a specific subordinated unit is cited, for instance, the headquarters companies of both Armies were awarded Meritorious Service Unit Commendations (as they were known then). Of all the units above company level listed on the 4th Replacement Depot billboard in camonick’s post (link here), 3rd Military Railway System (MRS) is the only one credited with a WWII era MSUC. It was awarded for service from Sep. 2, 1945, to Sep. 2, 1946 (G.O. 6, Eighth Army, March 1, 1947).

Thanks for the added info Wailuna.

The branch of service worn on the collar is Artillery.Dont know if this adds any more significance or insight to the award of the MUC.

Thanks for the added info Wailuna.

The branch of service worn on the collar is Artillery.Dont know if this adds any more significance or insight to the award of the MUC.

My grandfather originally wore infantry branch insignia but his period uniform with the MUC has Adjutant General insignia.

There are no notations on his DD 214 about receiving the MUC. Still a mystery.....

Nick

The branch of service worn on the collar is Artillery. Dont know if this adds any more significance or insight to the award of the MUC.

Field Artillery brass on its own does not shed much light on the mystery of the MUC and, as camonick points out above, his grandfather's uniform has The Adjutant General's Department brass (which would be the expected brass for 4th Replacement Depot cadre). However, the four-disc arrangement on your uniform does provide a useful dating clue as the wear of four discs in this fashion did not begin until 1947 (source: Chapter 71, Emerson's Encyclopedia).