3 New WWI "Dallas" Pilots and Observer - BB&B and Eisenstadt

aff96

Happy Sunday!

That's again for he help with the 2 recent repo wings that I posted recently and was able to return!

I just received the below wings from a great wonderful forum member & I believe are good, but would greatly appreciate a confirmation and also confirm the makers of the 2 pilot wings I've research & hopefully have correct.

Also apprecaite the makers of the observer wings please.

Again, thank you!

Greg

1st set - Eisenstadt Co.?

post-69635-0-29056900-1379257418.jpg

post-69635-0-71853000-1379257434.jpg

The observer wing is a BB&B, correct with the leather backing. The BB&B "Dallas" wing appears to have been recovered. You don't find originals with the back stitched in this way, this usually indicates that the wool has been replaced. The eisenstadt I would have to see in hand.

Terry

Thank you very much Terry! Greatly appreciate the help.

I can see know in comparing the BB&B pilot wing with others in the book I have that it looks recovered. Thanks also for the info on the observer as in now studying the wings & backing match other BB& B's I've seen.

For me to get comfortable with the Eisenstadt wings, are there any photos or measurements that I can provide to assist?

Again, thank you very much as I truly want to build a solid collection of AAS wings.

Greg

They all look good to me. Its not uncommon for there to be some level of repair on the fabric covering of the Dallas-style wings.

Thanks a ton! Just learning and appreciate the insight!

Aff96,

I agree with Patrick and Vintageproductions on the BB&B's they do look great and period. I mentioned that I would have to see the Eisenstadt in hand based on the pic. The wing should measure 1 1/4" from the edge of the shoulder to the tip and the beading should extend aprox 1/8" beyond the tip. The shield should be 3/4 across and 7/8 from top to bottom.

The reason I am holding back on the Eisenstadt is the US is not uniform in that the left leg of the U is not even with the right let across the top. The beading on the right wing as you look at the badge appears to weaken on the shoulder, compare that with the left wing (also compare it with the BB&B's). And it may be the lighting but there appears to be several very small beads of silver in the feathering. The wool looks proper with fading and some "purple" coloring coming through which is great, but it to has been re-stitched on the back I believe. And mentioned by Patrick not all that uncommon on these because of mothing and age the wool is the first thing to go.That's why I would like to have it in hand or have some real close up pic of the shield and right wing. I am at this moment holding an Eisenstadt that I received from the vet and the things I mentioned above ref the beading and US is not present on this wing. If you can gently pry up the wool, see if its dark black on the underside.

The BB&B observer is extremely rare in my opinion and is an excellent example.

Terry

Aff96,

I agree with Patrick and Vintageproductions on the BB&B's they do look great and period. I mentioned that I would have to see the Eisenstadt in hand based on the pic. The wing should measure 1 1/4" from the edge of the shoulder to the tip and the beading should extend aprox 1/8" beyond the tip. The shield should be 3/4 across and 7/8 from top to bottom.

The reason I am holding back on the Eisenstadt is the US is not uniform in that the left leg of the U is not even with the right let across the top. The beading on the right wing as you look at the badge appears to weaken on the shoulder, compare that with the left wing (also compare it with the BB&B's). And it may be the lighting but there appears to be several very small beads of silver in the feathering. The wool looks proper with fading and some "purple" coloring coming through which is great, but it to has been re-stitched on the back I believe. And mentioned by Patrick not all that uncommon on these because of mothing and age the wool is the first thing to go.That's why I would like to have it in hand or have some real close up pic of the shield and right wing. I am at this moment holding an Eisenstadt that I received from the vet and the things I mentioned above ref the beading and US is not present on this wing. If you can gently pry up the wool, see if its dark black on the underside.

The BB&B observer is extremely rare in my opinion and is an excellent example.

Terry

Thanks guys!

Terry, I'll measure & take close up pics today & post to confirm all is A-OK, really appreciate it!

I'm a Luft badge collector & love AAS wings & have a ton to learn.

Back in a bit.

Thanks again all!

Greg

Terry,

I measured as best I can & this wing was exact to your measurements above. I used my calibrator as it's a wrench type so couldn't close it & a measuring tape & both showed very close of exact as above..

As best as I could tell the backing underneath was black as can be.

Here are a few photos as best as I could, but sadly not great.

Thanks!

Greg

post-69635-0-15835600-1379352488.jpg

Those are some magnificent and original World War I wings!

Congratulations on the acquisition, and thanks for sharing them.

It's nice to see some real ones!!

Those are some magnificent and original World War I wings!

Congratulations on the acquisition, and thanks for sharing them.

It's nice to see some real ones!!

Thanks a ton Will!!

Aff96,

No question on the BB&B's and based on the most recent pictures I would give the Eisenstadt the full benefit of doubt unless something glaring should show up. The fact that the wool is black on the underside is a good sign and the recent pictures give a better image than those first posted. Keep in mind that I am not an expert and there are more knowledgeable members on this forum some of whom have already chimed in. All in all I would say you made a great score and have some beautiful wings.

Terry

Thank you everyone for all the terrific expertise & assistance so far!!!!

Like collecting all wings/badges these beautiful (actually stunning IMO) wings is a minefield! In hand, I just can't believe how beautiful they are & the workmanship is crazy. Super pieces of history, if they could only talk!

Terrific forum!