1892 period for Shako, Kepi & shoulder knots ?

robert60446

the bird looks ok, not sure about the sodder. some of the more senior collectors may be able to shed better light

so you're the one who outbid me

usmcaviator

I've never liked these, and have yet to see one come in a true service lot. With the prongs and solder, I attribute this to Bannerman's. It's still old, just never used by a Marine.

Mike

robert60446

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far. If I can add anything, I would like to make it clear that quality of emblem is just outstanding and it is a die strike product (not a casting). Prongs were secured to the badge with use of solder. Solder doesn’t glow in “black light”. Other than this I don’t have much to add…

@Brig – sorry man, the way how these auctions are made “secret” now, makes it almost impossible to identify anyone…

jeremiahcable

Much like Mike said, I've always kind of scratched my head and not been too keen on these. I'm sure modified examples from the period exist but I've never seen one come out in a group that I've believed. But, you never can tell what's hiding in attics waiting to be brought out.

usmcaviator

This is my opinion. Face wise, it is a real EGA. Probably made with full intent of it seeing service. However, it probably never had a method of attachment put on it until it was purchased with 1000's of others by one of the bulk surplus dealers of the 1920's-1950's. You can see the two different styles/types and colors of prongs on it. I don't feel this would have passed any maker's quality control looking like that.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Leatherneck72

I totally agree with Mike on this one. EGA itself looks good and old....I agree..decent die struck example. Probably never used, and then at a MUCH later date prongs were added by Bannerman's, Stokes Kirk, etc. BTW black lighting lead solder is by no means reliable. It is much better suited to cotton thread, and textiles.