Gerber Guardian II

Nkomo

This is perhaps one of my favorite knives in my collection. This is a Gerber Guardian II (serial number D0677S) that was used by one of my very good friends during Operation Just Cause and Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm. He was an M-60 gunner and needed to carry some sort of knife. As you can tell from the pictures, this knife has been used and abused. The tip has been broken off and blade has seen better days as well. However, it is an honest combat used knife.

My buddy, as I said earleir, was an M-60 gunner with C Co. 4/6th Infantry (Mechanized). He was also qualified to operate an M113A1 vehicle. It is funny, I have all of his paperwork here at the house except for one piece. He received some sort of recognition for driving a captured Panamanian V-300 fighting vehicle and saving a group of US soldiers that were pinned down. He says they were SEAL's, but I'm not sure. However, I did see the paperwork and know he did rescue a group of soldiers. I don't think he ever got any kind of award or anything for it though.

Anyway, thought you guys might like to see one of my favorite Just Cause items. My friend also brought home a captured East German AK boyonet as a war trophy. I also have that in my collection. From what I understand, his unit was not allowed to bring back many items from Panama. He said that they were made to empty their pockets, rucksacks, etc. and were threatened with court martial if they were caught smuggling anything back in.

m1_015.jpg

m1_018.jpg

On the scabbard, he added his last name. On the handle, he added the last 4 digits of his social security and the first letter of his last name.

m1_013.jpg

m1_019.jpg

Mint blades are always nice, but one named and well used one in the service of our country has a lot of appeal to me. I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Thanks for the positive comments. I was actually going through one of my boxes of Just Cause items because I was taking pictures of some items for one of my fellow collectors. When I took the knife out of the sheath, I found rust on parts of the blade where the coating had been worn off. Needless to say, that became my top priority. With some q-tips, toilet tissue, and some Break-Free, I was able to clean the knife up.

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if these were PX purchased items or if some of these were bought by the government as part of a small contract? I'm trying to verify the story my friend told me about how he got the knife.

Arch

• 7 years later...

Hi Arch,

I know this is an old topic but I found one of these Gerbers the other day. I don't know if the Army ever open purchased any of these knives but they are a cool knife nonetheless!!

The one I found was modified. It has a groove cut into the aluminum handle that circles the entire handle. I guess the purpose of the groove was to increase the grip of the handle. The blade is serialized with number D1771S. It does not have a sheath though. Makes me wonder if this one was possibly carried by a veteran ??

Chris

post-10825-0-37369300-1444762777.jpg

Does a BX/PX purchase knife reduce the desirabilily, if the knife is proven to be vet carried during time of service...this is mainly for modern blades used in the latest conflicts....I know the USAF did not issue us (at Dover AFB aircraft maintenance types) any knives prior to deployement ( but they did issue us M-16s and M-9s) on several trips...so we bought what was available at the base military clothing or local Army navy

Not sure why it would reduce any desirability. Depends on the collector market for the knife, and whom ever carried it. SKIP

If you want a vet-used fixed-blade knife, you will in almost all instances have to settle for personally purchased items. If an item was available in the PX, it lends at least some apparent increase in probability that it was vet-used. In 27 years of service in 3 separate combat zones and a half-dozen imminent danger areas, I was issued exactly two knives. Both folders.

IMHO, the collectors market place is more comfortable with issued gear as far as the field in general. More of the value in personal purchase items is dependent on the quality of attached provenance.

Can you find out how old this knife is by the serial numbered blade??

I found some info online that puts my blade as being made in 1985. Still would like to find a sheath.

As far as provenance goes, there is none with my knife. Arch's knife is really nice with a great history though.

Chris

Gotta throw in my $0.02 here, I know that the Gerber knives were carried in the AAFES PX's in the 1980's -1990's,in 1987 I bought a Gerber Mark I boot knife and carried it in the field,handy little snipper for a Soldier in the field,after all these years,I still have it ! Good steel,all I ever used on it was a carbide-tip sharpener,I never had to stone sharpen that knife ! The serial # is H1711S,& on the other side of the blade,the Co. hallmark of a sword in a stone,GERBER,Portland,ORE.U.S.A., and in the middle of the blade, MARK I TM. Hold on to that knife,It's a Keeper ! Regards, Jeff

I decided to paint the grooves on this knife. I was not a fan of the shiny bare aluminum. I found a little OD paint and painted the cut grooves. I think it looks better now.

post-10825-0-83768900-1445091820.jpeg

I purchased my Guardian II camouflage in 1987 at a PX in Germany. However, the camouflage sheath I have has an outside pocket with a sharpening stone. I love this knife and did carry it with me while in the service, even though it was not SMI.