Need help Identifying a nurse apron

kyhistorian01

My friend found this in his mom's antique shop material when he closed down the shop. He seems to thing its a WWI period Nurse apron - I have seen some photos of early nurses wearing something simular, but I am unsure if this is military or even how to tell? I am hoing that someone can tell me if it is military and if not what time period it might be from?

It has no marking and has small white buttons that button in back. Thanks in advance,

Robert

post-6492-0-21458800-1379121717.jpg

• 2 years later...

Civilian nurses, 1926 - 1950 at least, wore uniforms that included white aprons but these were fastened with removable shell buttons that had a metal shank and were attached with safety pins. They had to be removed before the apron and uniform were washed, starched and ironed. Nurses in those days often wore white cuffs also and were expected to remain pristine for the duration of their shift! The starch was so heavy that if they wanted to sit they had to reach behind to the edges of the split apron and pull the "wings" outward so they could perch on stool. No sitting down at a desk and relaxing for floor nurses. I have been told about this by women who were nurses during those times. I'm sure some hospitals had variations on the above. Hopefully the military was more practical in its approach. I'm sure they were. I will be interested to see what others can add to this identification.

A little more info: There is a picture of a WW2 nurses apron if you go to WW2 Nurses Images on Google search. The one I am referencing is a gray dress with helmet and white apron. The dress has long sleeves and white cuffs. The top bib would be large enough to come up almost to the neck, and the top and bottom were usually detachable on nurse uniforms so if the bottom part got dirty it could be changed without changing the whole outfit. Could be though, as the material appears flimsier than the civilian type and maybe they just changed the whole thing and there were many available.