WPG cartridge belt

2ndInf.Div.

Hey everyone, I have the opportunity to buy a WPG M1923 cartridge belt at an event next weekend. However, I have never dealt with WPG before, and I'm very leary about anything reproduction unless it's from ATF. I've read the reviews on their site, and every review that I saw were just people saying how good they look, construction is good, etc. but not how they hold up in the field. I've had friends tell me WPG is good and other friends tell me they're hit or miss. So I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with these repro cartridge belts before and what they think of them.

I've had a WPG cartige belt for 6 years now and it's held up okay. The only issue is that some of the flaps and two of the gromets are ripping out. That and the color is a little odd.

I've had some pretty good luck with WPG. The best thing I can say is to find someone who has an original belt and have him there with you when you look that this WPG belt and make a face to face comparison to the real deal and decide on that basis. If you're going to be at Rockford, Look me up... I'll be with Patton's 3rd Army HQ on the village field near 70th Armored.

Wayne

• 1 month later...
dan_the_hun84

WPG seems to be kinda hit or miss, never had a issue with ATF. My motto is "save up and get the ATF stuff..but if the price is right go for it.

WPG seems to be kinda hit or miss, never had a issue with ATF. My motto is "save up and get the ATF stuff..but if the price is right go for it.

I ended up buying an ATF "defect" shaded cartridge belt. I looked through a box of them in person and I really can't find any problem with the one I bought. For $50, I'm very pleased.

honestly, my opinion, get an original if you can. Don't know what you are going to pay for it, but if it's normal price....you can probably find an original for not too much more, just check ebay or at a show or online dealer. I have seen them go for $50 on average (just look at the recently sold on ebay, plenty went around that price). Plus then it has that 'look' to it of being used and worn, not the brand spanking new bright colored new look for a reenactor. There are somethings I would obviously agree with going repro for, but as far as a cartridge belt, go original if you can.

As a side note, I have had several items from WPG, ATF, etc.....they are all pretty decent. At one point when I got into reeancting a little more, I decided to go original most of the time.....the reasons listed above, and the fact that for the most part they hold their value.

Good luck!

Of what I hear from other reenactors is that WPG have a tendency to have the eyelets pop out. Not sure if these were an earlier version.

I bought a ATF used belt from a friend and it's great, zero issues with it. I keep my originals at home with the collection.

Good Luck.

LF

Ours are $97.99 and are practically New Old Stock government surplus quality. Actually they're New-New stock! Our quality is second to none.

Waltz, I have an original belt but the webbing around the dot snaps is becoming fragile and I even ripped one of the lift the dots through the webbing when I went to open one of the pockets. Most of what I use is original though. First aid pouch, canteen and cover, 10 inch bayonet, (I have a repro 16 inch for obvious reasons) M1 helmet and liner, wools, and my leggings. I'll be getting a refurbished fixed bail from J Murray and a repro Hawley by the end of the year as well. The thing I like about good quality repros is they will likely last longer than the original stuff, and if it does fall apart I won't feel like I destroyed a piece of history.

WWII Impressions as stated above is a top way to go as well. $87 is great price that will hold up the rigors of real and faux combat!

LF