USMC camouflage Poncho

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

I just picked up a March 1943 dated USMC camo poncho in nice condition. The early dates are hard to find. So it's been a good day plus I listed a mint 1944 dated camo poncho for sale and it sold in two hours. Life is good. thumbsup.gif

I just picked up a March 1943 dated USMC camo poncho in nice condition. The early dates are hard to find. So it's been a good day plus I listed a mint 1944 dated camo poncho for sale and it sold in two hours. Life is good. thumbsup.gif

How many ponchos do you have now????

Greg Robinson
How many ponchos do you have now????

Well...at the moment I got four ww2 USMC camouflage ponchos......but .once I receive the money for the one I sold today I'll have three. I was surprised at how quickly it sold today but then the market for those does seem to be heating up. And it really is an outstanding example.

And I still have that lovely 1938 dated OD poncho you sold me. It's a real beauty. :D

Here are some pics of the one I sold....don't have pics of the 1943 one yet.

post-4-1208551346.jpg

post-4-1208551394.jpg

Greg Robinson
Good going Greg. I've been looking for an early one as well. Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get it.

I got lucky when those ponchos were found in Greece and picked up a mint one dated October 1942. But I was still glad to find this one dated March '43. No, not mint. but very nice just having some dirt stains on the brown side yet still soft and pliable. If it's not rainy tomorrow as they're forecasting I'll take it outside and shoot some pics.

Greg Robinson
Isn't a poncho intended to be used in the rain? Sounds like it isn't up to its job. You better better let it go and send it to me for proper disposal. :lol:

Greetz ;)

David

RIGHT...shame on me for coddling that fine old piece of Gyrene gear. :D

• 8 years later...

Great to run into this discussion started by our old friend Greg.

I've had something of a weak place for Marine Ponchos, and have encountered some interesting trivia.

It seems that the first camouflaged Ponchos were printed in the approved standard "Frogskin" color shades, but were ordered to be altered

early on in the first production year of 1942.

Below, an excerpt from page 89 of "Grunt Gear" outlining this change:

post-3226-0-23415200-1486592892_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember that the first Marine Corps Poncho I purchased was one of the "original shades" type, and I sold it in hopes of finding

one that wasn't so stiff and crunchy. I did find one, and immediately recognized a difference in the colors- brown spots were green, green spots brown, and a deeper background shade. Never saw another like the first until recent times when a Forum member put up some shots of his. Another one turned up on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, and now rests with the rest of the 'flage, at left.

Interestingly, both of these have a contract date of Sept. 17, 1942.

post-3226-0-03084100-1486593659_thumb.jpg