Bomber Crew Flightgear question

USFA

Hello from Austria

I got some different Bombercrew stuff and have some questions .. i hope you guys can help me !?

I have here a Jacket Type B-3 , i want to know in wich period was this jacket used by the crews (from 19?? to 19??)

I have marked on the pic 2 buttons, for what are the buttons?

In wich Airplane Types was it used? B17 - B24 ?

post-11617-0-48680300-1379098349.jpg

Pants TYPE B1

Here i also want to know the periodtime (from 19?? to 19??)

and the Airplane Type in wich it was used.

Is this the upgrade pant to after the Type A 3 Pants ?

post-11617-0-59558600-1379098903.jpg

The jacket and A3 pants would have been issued together. They were a set and would have been issued prewar and early ww2. I believe the B3 jacket became a standard issue in 1937 and was taken out of service around 1942-43, when they were replaced by alpaca lined jackets. The snaps on the jacket were to hold the collar down, though few actually buttoned the collars down. The tabs on the shoulders were for rank emblems, though again they were often not utilized.

The B1 pants were issued to ground crews during the same period in conjuncture with D1 jackets. Though many of the ground crews traded off the B1 pants to flyers. So they actually saw a fair bit of use by flight crews.

The jacket and pants would have been used by bomber crews predominantly but saw cross the board use with flight crews of all sorts during the early war period.

Nice set, I always loved the B3 jackets myself.

Both A2 and B3 jackets had snap-down collars which were designed to stop them from flapping up and down in the slipstream in open cockpits.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

I agree with is well explained above! Your B3 could be own to the earliest production, because, if the monitor doesn't trick me, his leather is reddish. As far as I know the later version are darker with a different shade of color for the arm patches.

Best, Tiger

• 4 months later...
5thwingmarty

The tabs on the shoulders were for the wearer to help pull the jacket on or off, not to attach anything to. These are not loops like on the shoulder of an Ike jacket.

• 10 months later...

Another informative thread with great information ! Ive been a collector for over 30 years , I wish the internet was about way back then :-) ! Jim