What is it?

Le Garenne 78

Just got that from a US navy grouping. I have no idea what is it.

If anyone knows what it is, please let me know

Thanks

Charles

post-115947-0-15872000-1379084602.jpg

Just got that from a US navy grouping. I have no idea what is it.

If anyone knows what it is, please let me know

Thanks

Charles

It's a US bomblet, or cluster submunition, used in "cluster bombs". Not sure of the specific type, but the blue paint indicates it's an inert trainer.

Blue usually does indicate practice/inert.Not sure why a cluster would be painted blue since its a bomblet and released from a larger bomb.

BLU-25/B

The BLU-25/B was a cylindrical anti-personnel bomblet. It was used as the payload of the CBU-18/A cluster bomb (BLU-25/B in SUU-13A/A).

BLU-26/B

The BLU-26/B "Guava" was an air-dispensed APAM (anti-personnel/anti-material) fragmentation bomblet with 600 embedded steel fragments. The BLU-26/B had three different fuzing options. It could detonate immediately on impact, as an airburst 9 m (30 ft) above ground, or after a selectable but fixed time after impact. The externally identical BLU-36/B and BLU-59/B had random-delay fuzes.

The BLU-26/B was used as payload in the following cluster bombs:

In 1966/67, the BLU-26/B bomblet was also evaluated as a payload for the AGM-12C Bullpup guided missile. These tests probably led to the development of the AGM-12E variant, which had an anti-personnel cluster bomb warhead using BLU-26/B bomblets.

Data for BLU-26/B:
Diameter: 64 mm (2.5 in)
Weight: 435 g (0.95 lb)
Explosive: 85 g (0.19 lb) Cyclotol

blu-26-36-59-1.jpgDrawing, Photo: via ORDATA Online Website BLU-26/B / BLU-36/B / BLU-59/B

These bomblets were used for USAF load training...typically we saw them in the classroom during "academics" prior to hands-on training to load the larger cluster bombs...gave new troops an idea what was inside the canister. As I recall there was something like 146 or so in a SUU-30. Someone out there knows the exact number...ha.